How to move ADManager Plus to a new server?
Objective: To move ADManager Plus from its current server location to a new server.
Points to note before moving ADManager Plus
- Do not uninstall ADManager Plus from its current location until the new installation on the new server works perfectly.
- If the operating system on the new server is Windows 2008 / Windows 7, turn off the User Account Control (Control Panel → User Accounts → User Accounts → Turn User Account Control Off) as this setting will allow only the administrator to install a product on the machine.
- Check the build number of your current ADManager Plus installation (Logon to ADManager Plus → Click on the License link located in the top right corner, to know the build number).
- Go to http://www.manageengine.com/products/ad-manager/service-pack.html and check whether you are running on the latest build. If not, download the service pack of the latest build and upgrade ADManager Plus installed on the current server to the latest build.
Steps to move ADManager Plus to a new server:
- Stop ADManager Plus.
(Start → All Programs → ADManager Plus → Stop ADManager Plus, or Start → Run → services.msc → Stop the 'ManageEngine ADManager Plus' service.)
- Open the command prompt (choosing 'run as administrator').
- Navigate to \ADManager Plus\bin
- Run 'backupDB.bat' file to back up the database of your current installation.
This will create a folder named 'Backup' in the (For example, C:\Program Files\ManageEngine\ADManager Plus). This folder will contain the database in compressed file format (Example: 101217-1054.zip).
- Take a copy of the specs.xml file located in . Important: This step is needed only if you have applied any service packs to the current installation of ADManager Plus.
- Download and install the build of the same number on the new server (from: http://www.manageengine.com/products/ad-manager/service-pack.html )
- Stop this new installation of ADManager Plus on the new server.
- Copy the compressed database backup file created from the old installation in the following location on the new server: \ADManager Plus\bin (For example: D:\ManageEngine\ADManager Plus\bin)
- In the new server, create a new folder named 'Patch' in \ADManager Plus. Into this 'Patch' folder, copy the specs.xml file created from the old installation on the old server.
Important: This step is needed only if you have applied any service packs to the current installation of ADManager Plus.
- In the new server, open the command prompt (choosing 'run as administrator')
- Go to \ADManager Plus\bin
- Execute the 'restoreDB.bat' file from the command prompt using the compressed DB file. (For example: restoreDB.bat 101217-1054.zip)
- Start ADManager Plus. (Start → All Programs → ADManager Plus → Start ADManager Plus)
Select a language to translate the contents of this web page:
"We evaluated ADManager Plus along with several other Active Directory Management and Reporting software. After using it really made life easy for administrators. It is very understandable and fast to learn, I didn't even read the manual."
Bogdan Campeanu, Network Engineer