How to move ADManager Plus to a new server?
Objective: To move ADManager Plus from its current server to a new server.
Points to noted before moving ADManager Plus to a new location:
- Do not uninstall ADManager Plus from the current server until the installation on the new server works perfectly.
- If the operating system on the new server is Windows Server 2008 / Windows 7, turn off User Account Control since this setting will allow only an administrator to install the product.
(Steps: Control Panel ? User Accounts ? User Accounts ? Turn User Account Control Off)
- Identify the build number of your current ADManager Plus installation.
To know the build number: Logon to ADManager Plus ? Click on the License link located in the top right corner.
- Click here to check if you are using the latest build of ADManager Plus. If not, download the service pack and update ADManager Plus to the latest build.
Note: The following steps are applicable only if your ADManager Plus installation uses pgSQL database.
There are two ways in which the migration can be achieved:
Method 1: Move the existing ADManager Plus installation from the current location to a new location/server
Method 2: Download and install ADManager Plus on the new server, then restoring the DB backup taken from the old instance
1) Move the existing ADManager Plus installation from the current location to a new location/server
Following the below steps will migrate the license and data (configuration)
- Stop ADManager Plus. (Go to services.msc ? Stop "ManageEngine ADManager Plus" service).
- Stop the database. (Open a command prompt using Run as administrator→Navigate to <Installation Directory>\ManageEngine\ADManager Plus\bin→Execute StopDB.bat
- Close the command prompt and Copy the entire ADManager Plus folder to the new server or drive. Make sure you verify the folder size on both servers.
- Now Open a command prompt on the new server [Using Run as Admin]→Navigate to <installation-directory>\ManageEngine\ADManager Plus\bin→Execute wrapper.exe -i ..\conf\wrapper.conf to install ADManager Plus as a service.
- Execute initPgsql.bat Stonebraker
- Start ADManager Plus service by going to Services.msc ? 'ManageEngine ADManager Plus' Service ? Start the service
Note: If you are using MS SQL server as backend DB and if the MSSQL is running in a remote computer make sure to Download and install SQL native client, command line utilities, and ODBC Driver in the new machine on which ADManager Plus is running.
2) Download and install ADManager Plus on the new server, then restoring the DB backup taken from the old instance
- Stop ADManager Plus.
Steps: Start → All Programs → ADManager Plus → Stop ADManager Plus,
Start → Run → services.msc → Stop 'ManageEngine ADManager Plus' service.
- Navigate to <Installation Directory>\ADManager Plus\bin. (or) Open the Command Prompt (Using 'Run as Administrator').
Run 'backupDB.bat' file to back up the database of your current installation. This will create a backup inside ADManager Plus installation folder (C:\ManageEngine\ADManager Plus\Backup)(Example: OfflineBackup_20161129235853.ezip).
- Download and install ADManager Plus on the new server.
- Start and stop the product in the new location so that it populates all the necessary tables in the database.
- Start the product and verify the build number and stop the product in the new location so the product populates necessary tables in the database.
- Copy the compressed database backup file created in the old server to the following location in the new server: \ADManager Plus\bin (For example: C:\ManageEngine\ADManager Plus\bin)
- In the new server, navigate to \ADManager Plus\bin. (or) Open the command prompt (Choose 'Run as Administrator').
Execute the 'restoreDB.bat' file from the Command Prompt using the compressed database file. For example: restoreDB.bat OfflineBackup_20161129235853.ezip -p
- When it prompts for a password enter the reverse string of backup file name.
File Name: OfflineBackup_20161129235853
Reverse String: 35853292116102_pukcaBenilffO
- Copy the Archive folder present in <Installation Directory>\ADManager Plus and paste it to <New Installation Directory>\ADManager Plus
- Copy the customer-config.xml and database_params.conf files present in <Installation Directory>\ADManager Plus\conf and paste it to <New Installation Directory>\ADManager Plus\conf
- Apply the original license file send to your email from firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also copy the License folder present in <Installation Directory>\ADManager Plus\lib and paste it to <New Installation Directory>\ADManager Plus\lib
- To start the product, click Start ? All Programs ? ADManager Plus ? Start ADManager Plus
Need further assistance? Fill this form, and we'll contact you rightaway.
Select a language to translate the contents of this web page: