- What is ADManager Plus?
- What operating systems are supported by ADManager Plus?
- What is the difference between Free and Professional Editions?
- ADManager Plusruns in a web browser. Does that mean I can access it from anywhere?
- How is ADManager Plus licensed?
- Do I need any prerequisite software to be installed before using ADManager Plus?
- Can ADManager Plus work if DCOM is disabled on remote systems?
- Does ADManager Plus user interface support other than English ?
- Does ADManager Plus support UNICODE characters?
- What are the different editions of ADManager Plus?
- What are the limitations of the Free edition?
- How can I upgrade to a higher edition?
- What are the major offerings in the different paid editions of ADManager Plus?
- For Report Schedules / Task Automations, is the Help Desk Technician license mandatory to use the schedules and automations?
- I want to stop running ADManager
Plus during machine boot up, what to do?
- Can I add Multiple Domains?
- Can I add
domains of different forest?
- How do i configure child domain details?
- What does the term default domain mean?
- How do I change the password of the admin account?
- What are the advantages of Bulk User Management compared to
Active Directory Tools?
- What is a User Template? What is the advantage of using Template in
Bulk User Creation?
- What are the standards of csv file used for bulk user creation?
- What are the types of Reports available in ADManager Plus?
- What is the difference between account disabled users and account locked out users?
- What is the difference between account disabled users and inactive users?
- What is the difference between account expired users and password expired users?
- Is there any customized reports?
- What is a Security Role?
- What are the advantages of Delegation through ADManager Plus?
- What will happen if modify a delegated Security Role?
- Can I search the ACEs to see what permission is available for a user?
- How do I move ADManager Plus to a different machine?
- How do I migrate ADManager Plus to MS SQL database from MySQL database?
- How do I migrate ADManager Plus to PgSQL database from MySQL database on the machine?
- How do I migrate ADManager Plus to PgSQL database from MySQL database on a different machine?
1. What is ADManager Plus?
ManageEngine ADManager Plus is a 100% web-based
product that provides centralized administration and management of Windows
Active Directory. You can use ADManager Plus to perform the following:
- Create bulk user accounts in the Active Directory with the flexibility to import properties from a CSV file.
- Modify the existing user account properties including Exchange Mailbox and Terminal Services properties.
- Generate and view granular reports of users, computers, groups like Inactive Users, Disabled Users, Users in Nested Groups, Distribution Groups, Security Groups, Inactive Computers, etc.
- Create and delegate security roles for granting/revoking permissions to security principals.
- Search ACEs and Active Directory objects.
- Manage bulk computers, groups and contacts with ease.
- Manage Active Directory and Exchange Server (2003/2007) from a single console.
2. What operating systems are supported by ADManager Plus?
ADManager Plus supports the following Windows operating systems:
- Windows Server 2000
- Windows XP
- Windows Server 2003
- Windows Vista
- Windows 7
- Windows Server 2008
- Windows 8
- Windows 2008 R2
- Windows Server 2012
- Windows Server 2012 R2
- Windows Server 2016
- Windows 10
3. What is the difference between Free and Professional Editions?
The Free edition of ADManager Plus can be used to manage up to 100 objects in a single domain and cannot
have more than one domain configured.
The Professional edition can be used to manage the number of domains and objects for which it is licensed for.
The Free edition can be upgraded to Professional edition at any point of time by obtaining a valid license from ZOHO Corp.
4. ADManager Plus runs in a web browser. Does that mean I can access it from anywhere?
Yes, you can connect to the ADManager Plus from any machine on the network through a Web browser.
5. How is ADManager Plus licensed?
ADManager Plus licenses are annual subscriptions; licenses are based on the number of domains and helpdesk technicians.
6. Do I need any prerequisite software to be installed before using ADManager Plus ?
No, ADManager Plus does not require any prerequisite software to be installed.
7. Can ADManager Plus work if DCOM is disabled on remote systems?
Yes, ADManager Plus does not use the DCOM service to perform the tasks.
8. Does ADManager Plus support other than English during objects creation and reporting ?
Yes. Besides English, ADManager Plus supports the following languages: Dutch, Italian, French, Japanese, German, and Chinese. You can change the language settings from the Personalize option provided in the Admin tab. To know more about how to change your language preferences, refer to this document.
9. Does ADManager Plus support UNICODE characters?
Yes. ADManager Plus supports all UNICODE characters that are supported by the Active Directory.
1. What are the different editions of ADManager Plus?
ADManager Plus is available in one Free Edition and two paid editions - Standard and Professional.
2. What are the limitations of the Free edition?
The Free Edition can be used to manage only up to 100 objects and in only one domain. You can generate reports for this domain alone. It is not possible to configure any additional domain or schedule reports using the Free Edition.
However, you can upgrade to the Standard or Professional Edition at any time.
3. How can I upgrade to a higher edition?
From any edition, you can upgrade to the required higher edition by obtaining the appropriate license from ZOHO Corp.
4. What are the major offerings in the paid editions of ADManager Plus?
Highlights of Standard Edition: User and Computer Management, Pre-built Reports and Delegation of roles to Help Desk Technicians.
Highlights of Professional Edition: Group, Contact & GPO Management capabilities, Report Scheduler, OU based administration in Help Desk Delegation, Technician based Templates, multi-domain management capability for Help Desk Technicians, 'Drag-n-Drop' Customization of AD object creation and modification templates, Workflow and Automation, in addition to all the Standard Edition features.
5. For Report Schedules / Task Automations, is the Help Desk Technician license mandatory to use the schedules and automations?
NO. The administrator can configure the required schedules or automations.
1. I want to stop running ADManager Plus during machine boot up, what to do?
To make ADManager Plus not to start during system boot up,
- Click the Personalize link from the top right of the ADManager Plus client.
- Clear the option "Start the product automatically on machine boot up"
- Click Save Changes.
2. Can I add Multiple Domains?
During startup, ADManager Plus adds all the domains that it could resolve. You can also add domains manually by clicking the Domain Settings link from the client.
3. Can I add domains of different forests?
Yes, you can add domains belonging to different forests.
4. How do I configure child domain details?
The procedure for adding child domains is no different from adding other domains. Click the Domain Settings link and add the domains.
5. What does the term default domain mean?
Default domain is a term used to represent the domain that is selected automatically unless an alternative has been specified. Based on your requirement, you can configure any domain in your organization as the default domain.
6. How do I change the password of the admin account?
To change the admin password,
- Click the change password link located at the top left corner of ADManager Plus window.
- In the Personalize Settings page, enter the old password. Then, enter the new password and confirm it by keying in the new password in the 'confirm password' field.
- Click Save Changes.
Alternatively, you can also:
- Click the Admin tab..
- Go to General Settings and click the Personalize link.
- Enter the old and new passwords. Confirm the new password by keying in the new password in the 'confirm password' field.
- Click Save Changes.
7. What are the advantages of Bulk User Management compared to Active Directory tools?
The following are the advantages over Active Directory tools:
- Can create multiple users simultaneously.
- Can modify all the properties including Exchange and Terminal Services properties for multiple users.
- Web-based management.
8. What is a User Template? What is the advantage of using a Template in Bulk User Creation?
A user template contains the values of the user attributes defined in it. When you want to create user accounts with similar privileges and permissions, you can create a template with the common attributes and just change the values that differ, say the logon name, display name, etc. This save your time and avoid any possible errors.
9. What are standards of CSV file used for bulk user creation?
The first line in the CSV file should contain
the attribute names as defined in the Active Directory. Enter the attribute
values for each user in separate lines in the same order. If you do not
wish to specify the value for an attribute, just put a comma and proceed.
10. What are the types of Reports available in ADManager Plus?
There are 100+ different reports about
the Active Directory infrastructure components grouped under User, Computer,
Groups, NTFS, Compliance, Exchange and Security Reports. For more details
refer to Active
11. What is the difference between account disabled users and account locked out users?
The user accounts that are disabled by
the administrator are termed as account disabled users. The account locked
out users are those accounts that are locked by the Active Directory based
on a policy, for example, three continuous failed login attempts would
disable login for certain period. This is a temporary period during which
the user will not be able to logon.
12. What is the difference between account disabled users and inactive users?
The user accounts that are disabled by
the administrator are termed as account disabled users. They do not have
login permissions in the domain. Inactive users are those who have login
permissions in the domain, but have not logged on to the domain for the
13. What is the difference between account expired users and password expired users?
The account expired users are those whose
user account has become invalid. This may happen in cases where a temporary
account is created for a specific period beyond which the account expires.
The Password expired users are those who
are not able to use their account as the password has expired. As a security
policy, the users might require to change the password within a specified
period after which they may not be able to login using their old password.
The password has to be reset for the user to login again.
14. Is there any customized reports?
Yes, you can customize the reports based
on the criteria available for all the reports. For example, to view the
inactive users for a specified period, you can specify the period and
generate. Also, you can customize the columns in user , group, computer
and exchange reports.
15. What is a Security Role?
Security roles are those you define for
granting/revoking specific permissions. For example, you can define a
role to grant permissions for creating a user. This can then be delegated
to the security principals for granting the permissions.
16. What are the advantages of Delegation through ADManager Plus?
The following are the advantages:
- Minimizes the error when granting/revoking same permissions for different users.
- Modifying a security role automatically delegates the permissions for the previously delegated objects as well.
- Can create as many roles as required and can be delegated as and when required.
- Delegation through ADManager Plus is completely secure as the rights of the users are not altered in the Active Directory. The users perform the tasks only by using the rights in ADManager Plus.
17. What will happen if modify a delegated Security Role?
When you modify the delegated security role, it gets automatically delegated for the previously delegated objects.
18. Can I search the ACEs to see what permission is available for a user?
Yes, you can search the permissions granted
to security principals, such as users, groups, and computers. You can
even include the active directory object, security principal, and the
permissions in the search criteria to confine your search.
19. How do I move ADManager Plus to a different machine?(Migration)
Please follow the steps given below:
Step 5 and Step 7 is applicable only if the existing build is migrated from the older version build.
Step 1 : Stop ADManager Plus which is running currently.
Step 2 : Go to the <installation directory> \ bin \
Step 3 : Run the file "backupDB.bat". This will create a backup of
the existing database files in zip format under <installation directory>
\ backup \.
Step 4 : Take this zip file (<existing_db_zip_name>) and copy it to the
Step 5: Take a copy of "specs.xml" present under <installation
directory> \ Patch \ and copy it to the new server
Step 6 : Install the same version of ADManager Plus (the version you have in
the existing server) in the new server. Ensure the application is started
and finally stop ADManager Plus.
Step 7 : Create a folder named "patch" under installation directory
and copy the "specs.xml" under this folder
Step 8 : Go to the <installation directory> \ bin \. Open a command prompt.
Step 9 : Type - restoreDB.bat <existing_db_zip_name> and enter. This
will restore the previous settings.
Step 10 : After the restore process is completed, start ADManager Plus.
Note : Ensure that you have the existing installation of ADManager Plus,
until it is working fine with the new installation of ADManager Plus.