Creating New Web Application Group
Once you create a web application group, you can view the health of the sub groups and know how each individual sub group is performing. If there is a problem in the web application group, you can drill down and identify which component is having a problem.The details page shows the health of all the tiers as components giving you a better perspective of the Application's Performance and Availability. You can also configure dependencies and powerful alarm rules for intelligent alert correlation.
To create a new web application group, follow the steps given below:
- Click New Monitor Group and select Web Application Group from the drop-down menu.
- Provide a Name for the Monitor Group. This is mandatory and only alphanumeric characters, dashes (-), underscores (_), periods (.), and spaces ( ) are allowed.
- Provide a Description, if required.
- Select the Owner from the list of users displayed. Refer User Administration topic for more information on the different roles of users.
Operator if associated as an owner will have Read Only Access to that particular Monitor Group alone.
Admin user is a super user and will be able to see all Monitor Groups.
Manager if associated will be able to view this Monitor Group in Manager Console. Using this option, Restricted Monitor Groups alone can be shown in Manager Console. [By default, if the Manager is not explicitly associated to a Monitor Group, the Manager will be able to access all the Monitor Groups in the Manager Console]
- Select Web Application Group as the group type.
- Select the Application Components from the options displayed. The components available are End User Transaction (URL) group, Network devices group, Edge Devices group, Web Server Group, Application Server Group, Database Group and Server Group. The components that you select will be automatically added as sub groups within the web application group.
- Select the Location for associating the monitor group to World Map Business View under Advanced section. Otherwise, click the 'Add Location' link and select custom locations from the google map that opens up.
- Click Create Monitor Group button to create the Web Application Group. You can add monitors any time using the Associate Monitors option.
Note: You can convert a web application group to a monitor group or vice versa by changing the Group Type. Click Monitor Group Options link from the web application group page and select the Edit option. This will take you to the Modify Monitor Group section. You can modify the Group Type values from this screen.
Creating a Sub-Group within a Web Application Group
If you have selected 'Application Components' while creating the web application group, the sub groups will be automatically created based on the options you have selected. You can also add sub groups later on by following the steps given below.
- Click the Monitor Group Actions->New Sub-Group option inside the Web Application Group Details page.
- Provide the Sub-Group Name, Description and select the Owner from the list of users.
- Select the Group Type from the dropdown box.
- Select the Location for associating the sub group to from the drop-down box. You can also use the 'Add Location' option to specify custom locations from google map.
- Click the Create Sub-Group button to create the sub group.
- You can then associate the desired monitors to the Sub-Group.
Note: You can create up to six levels of sub groups for a web application group, by default.