UNIFAST data breach exposes personal data of more than one million applicants.
On May 2, 2019, Philippines Senator Sherwin T. Gatchalian revealed that the database of the Unified Student Financial Assistance System for Tertiary Education (UNIFAST) was affected by a breach; 1,130,899 Tertiary Education Subsidy (TES) applicants' data such as names student identification numbers, dates of birth, father’s and mother’s names, and addresses were compromised.
What really happened?
On March 16, 2019, attackers accessed the TES database, deleted its contents, injected ransomware, and threatened to leak the applicants' data unless a ransom was paid. Even though the attack was identified in March, the UNIFAST secretariat didn't inform the National Privacy Commission (NPC) until mid-April.
Cybersecurity threats are everywhere, and it's important for your business to be prepared for such incidents. If you want to avoid disasters like these, invest in a tool like DataSecurity Plus that can secure personal data and mitigate ransomware attacks. Download a 30-day, free trial of DataSecurity Plus
Check out these eight best practices to help you avoid cybersecurity attacks and protect your organization.
DataSecurity Plus can help you avoid such disasters.
DataSecurity Plus is an automated ransomware threat identification and mitigation solution that:
Generates real-time alerts when an attempted ransomware attack is detected.
- The main indicator of a potential ransomware attack is an unusual amount of changes to files and folders. DataSecurity Plus monitors the frequency of file modifications by each user and issues alerts whenever the number of modifications crosses a specified threshold within a set period of time. Every alert also indicates the username, source, date, and time of the incident, as well as other parameters that pave the way for further investigation.
- Download our free Ransomware Prevention Kit.
Offers a customizable and automated response system to quarantine ransomware attacks.
- DataSecurity Plus uses a built-in ransomware detection and response mechanism to lock down infected devices and prevent ransomware from spreading to storage devices or network systems. You can also set up your own automated responses, including the execution of a custom script file, to quickly respond to ransomware attack alerts.
- Learn how to prevent ransomware attacks in our e-book featuring best practices from the FBI.
Simplifies forensic analysis.
- DataSecurity Plus generates customizable, in-depth, audit-ready reports on all file-related changes, access attempts, events, and share permissions.
Try out all of DataSecurity Plus' features yourself by downloading a free, 30-day trial.