Event ID 4742 - A computer account was changed
|Sub category||Computer account management|
|Description||A computer account was changed|
When a computer account is changed, event ID 4742 gets logged.
This log data gives the following information:
|Subject: User who performed the action||Security ID
|Computer Account That Was Changed:||Security ID
|Attributes (of the changed account):||SAM Account Name
User Principal Name
Password Last Set
Primary Group ID
Allowed To Delegate To
Old UAC Value
New UAC Value
User Account Control:
Why event ID 4742 needs to be monitored?
- Prevention of privilege abuse
- Detection of potential malicious activity
- Operational purposes like getting information on user activity like user attendance, peak logon times, etc.
- Compliance mandates
ADAudit Plus alerts and tracks critical activities such as creation, deletion or modification of user/group/computer, thus making Active Directory auditing much easier.
Event 4742 applies to the following operating systems:
- Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows 7
- Windows Server 2012 R2 and Windows 8.1
- Windows Server 2016 and Windows 10
Corresponding event ID for 4742 in Windows Server 2003 and older is 646
Explore Active Directory auditing and reporting with ADAudit Plus.
- Related Products
- ADManager Plus Active Directory Management & Reporting
- ADAudit Plus Real-time Active Directory Auditing and UBA
- EventLog Analyzer Real-time Log Analysis & Reporting
- ADSelfService Plus Self-Service Password Management
- AD360 Integrated Identity & Access Management
- Log360 Comprehensive SIEM and UEBA
- AD Free Tools Active Directory FREE Tools