User Creation Templates
ADManager Plus's user creation templates allow you to configure multiple or all the necessary attributes of user accounts in a single step. Just apply these templates during the user account creation process and all the attributes of the new user accounts will automatically take the values of the corresponding attributes in the templates.
Moreover, the 'drag-n-drop' customization component in the templates makes it possible to make any attribute mandatory, hidden, editable or read only. Thus, according to the helpdesk technician to whom this template will be delegated for creating user accounts, you can make the appropriate set of attributes visible or editable in the template.
To easily populate the fields in the template, you can use the 'Copy User Attributes' option, which allows you to copy and use the values from an existing user account.
These templates also include the 'Creation Rules' option which allows you to auto-populate the desired fields, or define conditions to reactively-populate specific fields of the user accounts being created.
User creation templates are also huge time savers. Consider a scenario in which there are many new employees joining your sales team at the same time. Instead of creating new accounts for all of them one after the other, just create a template with the appropriate values for all the required attributes, list all the users in a CSV file, import them and apply the template. New user accounts for all the new employees will be now created in your Active Directory with all the attributes.
Enter a name and an appropriate description for the new template. Select the domain in which the new template will be used. Under each tab, enter the required values or formats for all the necessary attributes, specify mandatory attributes, make the appropriate attributes editable or invisible and save the template.
Click the AD Mgmt --> User Management.
Under User Templates, click the User Creation Templates link.
Click the Create New Template link located in the top right corner of the User Creation Templates page.
In the User Creation Template page, enter the name and an appropriate description for the template.
Select the domain in which this template will be used using the 'Select Domain' option.
Click 'User Creation Rules' button for setting up rules to auto-fill desired attributes if the specified conditions are satisfied.
Click on 'Enable Drag-n-Drop' button to customize the template by just dragging and dropping the required fields from the 'Field Tray' to the appropriate tab of the template and vice versa.
If you wish to configure the fields in the template with the attributes of an existing user account, click the 'Copy User Attributes' button. To enter the values for all the necessary fields manually, follow the steps mentioned below.
Click on General tab.
- To change the name of this tab, click on the edit icon located before the tab name or double click on the name of the tab and enter a new name.
- To hide or delete the entire tab and all its fields from the helpdesk technician during user creation, click on the '-' icon or 'x' icon located beside the tab name.
In the General tab, you will be able to find all the fields placed under one single field group, General. As needed, you can create new field groups and place the related fields in them.
- To change the name of a field group, click on the Edit link located beside the field group name.
- To hide the entire field group or delete it, click on Make Silently Active or the Delete link respectively.
- Make the required fields mandatory (using the edit option). For example, make the logon names and full name as mandatory fields.
- You can also specify the level (domain, forest, etc.) at which duplication of logon name and full name attributes must be avoided and also specify how to avoid duplicates.
- Also, if needed, make critical attributes read-only or hidden to protect them.
- Enter the appropriate values for all the attributes in the General tab.
Similarly, click on Account Tab, drag and drop the required fields from the field tray to the tab and remove the unnecessary ones. Specify Profile Path permissions and Home Folder permissions using the Permissions link. You can set the desired logon hours for users and also customize the basic UAC options in the Account Properties gield group.
Note: Cross-domain support is available for the memberOf attribute only if you specify the input using the CSV import option.
Click on Contact tab, add the required fields from the field tray or delete the unwanted ones, make the required fields mandatory, read-only or hidden and specify the values for the attributes.
Click on Exchange tab, select No Mail, Mailbox Enabled User or Mail Enabled User, as needed. Select the fields that you require and enter appropriate values for all the fields including mailbox permissions, Exchange 2010/ 2013/ 2016 Policies and Mobile Services / Protocols.
Click the Remote Mailbox tab if you wish to create remote mailboxes for the users. Select the enable remote mailbox option. Specify the remote routing address in the field provided, and also select the desired naming format that must be used to configure the remote mailbox name.
Click on Terminal tab, customize the fields, enter the values for the attributes including the permissions for User Profile and Home Folders, session limits, Remote Control and Remote Access Permissions.
Note: If you specify the terminal session limits via CSV import, you must enter the values in milliseconds. For example, to set a session limit of 5 minutes, you must enter 300000 (milliseconds) as the value for the session limit.
Click on OCS / Lync / Skype tab
- To enable LCS / OCS Server, select the LCS / OCS Server option, select the appropriate LCS / OCS Server and SIP URI format. In LCS / OCS Settings, select the required options.
- To enable Lync / Skype, select the Lync / Skype for Business Server option. Select the required Lync Server and SIP URI format. Select the appropriate Lync Server settings.
To configure custom attributes, click on Custom Attributes tab.
Select the Office 365 tab. Here, you can specify the settings to be used for creating an Office 365 account.
Choose the relevant User Creation Method
- Pick the appropriate license type and select the applications that you want the users to access.
Note: - Office 365 tab will be available only if you configure an Office 365 account in ADManager Plus (Admin Tab --> Custom Settings --> Office 365).
- Ensure that Windows Azure module is installed on the same server where you have installed ADManager Plus. For help in installing the Azure AD module, please refer this document.
Click Save Template.
The templates thus created will be available for single user creation and also bulk
user creation wizards from where you can select to apply templates
for the users.
You can also apply
a created templates by importing CSV file. The LDAP attribute "templateName"
To create Mailbox Enabled Users in Exchange 2007,
you would require the Exchange Management Console to be installed on the same machine where ADManager Plus is running. If not only the legacy
Mailbox will be created for your users.
attributes like Logon Name, Display Name, Email, etc., you can choose
any of the formats listed in the combo box. The chosen format will be
automatically applied when you add users based on this template.
When specifying the Local Path for the Home Folder
for the users, you can use any LDAP Attributes in the path, which will
be replaced during user creation dynamically. For example, a path can
be specified as C:\Documents and Settings\%LogonName%, where, %LogonName%
will be replaced by the corresponding Logon Name of the user dynamically.
Viewing/Modifying User Templates
To view or to modify the user templates,
on AD Mgmt tab.
Click on the User Creation Templates
link available under User Template.
This will list all the available templates.
Tip: You can sort the templates in ascending/descending
order using the arrow icon located beside the Template Name header.
on the last icon under Action heading, to set that particular template
as the default template.
To modify the template click the template name
or the icon to open the Modify User Template dialog.
the attributes as required and click Save
- Modifications made to the attributes in the templates will not modify the attributes of the user accounts that have already been created prior to modification of the template. The changes will apply only to the users accounts that will be created henceforth using this template.
- You can also make the desired changes to multiple user creation templates in a single action, using the bulk modify templates option.