How to create a new Azure AD group using PowerShell scripts
Administrators use Azure AD groups to manage users and their permissions collectively. The cmdlet listed in the table below serves the function of creating new Azure AD groups. ADManager Plus, a unified AD, Microsoft 365, Exchange Server, and Google Workspace management and reporting tool, can also be used to accomplish this task.
The following table is a comparison on how to create a new Azure AD group using PowerShell scripts and ADManager Plus.
Steps to create a new Azure AD group using PowerShell scripts:
- Note down the required parameters for creating the group.
- Execute the following PowerShell script with the required parameters and their values.
Click to copy script
New-AzADGroup -DisplayName $gname
Steps to create an Azure AD group using ADManager Plus:
- Log in to ADManager Plus and navigate to Microsoft 365 tab > Management > Group Management.
- Under Single Group Creation, click Microsoft365 Group Creation.
- Select the desired Microsoft 365 tenant from the Microsoft 365 Tenant drop-down.
- Fill in the mandatory attributes.
- Select the group members and the owners from the Group tab.
- Click Apply.
Note: With ADManager Plus, creating bulk groups in distribution group, mail enabled security group, Microsoft 365 group, dynamic distribution group, and security group becomes a seamless process as well, through the utilization of smart templates and CSV imports.
Limitations of using PowerShell scripts to create new Azure AD groups
- Managing group creations across a large organization using scripts can lack centralized oversight, making it challenging to track changes and ensure consistency.
- Scripts often depend on the expertise of the script author, limiting their usability across different teams or administrators.
- PowerShell scripts are time-consuming and can affect productivity.
- The mentioned PowerShell script only addresses group creation. For adding members, supplementary PowerShell scripts are necessary, often intricate and demanding in terms of time.
Benefits of employing ADManager Plus for creating new Azure AD groups
- ADManager Plus' group management module simplifies the complex task of handling AD groups by offering bulk group creation, bulk group modification, and AD reports-based group management in an effortless and hassle-free manner.
- ADManager Plus lets you create groups and add members to those groups, all in one go.
- ADManager Plus offers group creation templates that streamline the task of creating groups in bulk.
- ADManager Plus also offers the ability to execute sequential follow-up tasks, seamlessly integrating with workflows to deliver efficient controlled automation
To gain an in-depth understanding of the features and capabilities ADManager Plus has to offer, click here.
Simplify Azure AD Management and Reporting with ADManager Plus
Get 30-day free trial.