Steps to rollback when ServiceDesk Plus upgrade fails
In a scenario where the ServiceDesk Plus upgrade fails it is possible to build a system that is identical to the one prior to the upgrade, provided a backup was taken before the upgrade. This backup could be a manual backup initiated before the upgrade process or it could be a backup which the system would have prompted during the upgrade process.
Refer to the link below to know more about backups and how they are stored in ServiceDeskPlus.
Please follow the instructions given below to restore the ServiceDeskPlus to an earlier version.
Instructions for restoring ServiceDesk Plus:
- If you’ve had the ServiceDesk Plus and the database installed on the same Virtual Server, then a snapshot taken just before the upgrade can be used to restore the ServiceDesk Plus.
- In case the above mentioned Step 1 is not an option, a new installation of the prior build needs to be installed and then the backup file can be restored. You can download the respective builds from the following location: http://archives.manageengine.com/service-desk/
- Before installing the build please rename the existing installation folder of ServiceDesk Plus to ServiceDesk_OLD. This is important because we do not want the new installation to overwrite the existing installation.
Note: Installation process will first try to uninstall the current setup. So, you may need to run it the second time to install the application.
- Find a backup file that was taken manually before the upgrade process. The backup file should be present in the (C:\ManageEngine\ServiceDesk\backup) folder in the old installation. If the name of the backup file contains "fullbackup", it will have the database information and attachments otherwise its a trimmed-backup which contains database information alone.Trimmed Backups are stored under (C:\ManageEngine\ServiceDesk\trimmedbackup).Either of these can be used to restore the database.Please check the time stamp on the backup files so that you know you are restoring the correct file.
- If you are using MySQL database, skip to step 7.
- If the database is MSSQL, you need to delete the existing database for the ServiceDesk Plus in the SQL server(By default the database name will be 'servicedesk'). After deletion run the changeDBServer.bat/sh script found in the /bin folder to enter MSSQL settings and test the connection and save. After the settings are successfully saved, start and stop ServiceDesk Plus[Only after a restart of the application the database tables gets created in the SQL server]. Skip to step 8.
- Start the service Manage Engine ServiceDesk Plus make sure you are able to login using the default username, password and then stop the service.
- Run restoreData.bat/sh script and choose the backup file you identified in Step 4. Once the restore is complete, a dialog pops up saying the data restore is successful and you can click 'Close' button to exit.
- Now, If you had used a trimmed backup to restore the data, then you need to copy the following folders from old installation to the new installation:
Note: The archive folder might not be present if you are restoring a version earlier to 7.6
- Start the application and make sure your data is intact.
Uninstallation of a successfully installed patch is not supported.
If you've taken a snapshot of the application server and the database server before the upgrade, please restore the snapshot of both the servers.
Help us identify the root cause of the failure and improve the upgrade tool by sending the log files from the failed setup to email@example.com. You can send all the updatemgrlog files found in the logs directory in [ServiceDesk Home] / logs or under [ServiceDesk-Home]\server\default\log folder if you are using an older version (9.3 or older).
Once we receive the log files we will analyze the same and then update you on the guidelines to complete the upgrade process again.
For any further assistance,send us an email to our Support Team at firstname.lastname@example.org with your contact information or you may reach us at +1 408 916 9300.