Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is ADManager Plus?
ManageEngine ADManager Plus is a 100% web-based product that provides
centralized administration and management of Windows Active Directory.
You can use ADManager Plus to perform the following:
- Create bulk user accounts in the Active Directory with the flexibility
to import properties from a csv file.
- Modify the existing user account properties including Exchange
Mailbox and Terminal Services properties.
- Generate and view granular reports of users, computers, groups
like Inactive Users, Disabled Users, Users in Nested Groups, Distribution
Groups, Security Groups, Inactive Computers, etc.
- Create and delegate security roles for granting/revoking permissions
to security principals.
- Search ACEs and Active Directory objects.
2. What Operating Systems / Platforms and Environments does ADManager Plus support?
Supported Operating Systems / Platforms:
- Windows 7
- Windows Vista
- Windows XP
- Windows 2008 R2 Server
- Windows 2008 Server
- Windows 2003 Server
- Windows 2000 Server
- Windows 2000 Professional
- Active Directory based Windows 2000/2003/2008/2008 R2 Domain setup
Note: Windows Domain setup below Windows 2000 is not supported.
3. What is the difference between Free, Standard and Professional
Refer comparision page
4(a). How is ADManager Plus licensed?
ADManager Plus is licensed on annual subscription based on the
number of Domains it would manage.
4(b). Is it necessary to buy separate licenses for Child Domains?
Yes, it is necessary to purchase separate licenses for Child Domains.
4(c). Can I buy a consolidated license for an AD Forest?
There is no option to buy a Forest based license. It is mandatory to buy licenses for individual domains you need to manage in a forest.
4(d). Is there any restriction on the number of objects in an AD Domain?
There is absolutely no restriction on the number of objects (users/computers/groups) in a Domain.
4(e). I have a domain spread over geographical locations, can I purchase one license and use it on all locations.
No. If you purchase a license, it can be installed in only one machine. Therefore a single
license for the above scenario will not work out.
5. ADManager Plus runs in a web browser. Does
that mean I can access it from anywhere?
Yes, you can connect to the ADManager Plus from any machine on
the network through a web browser.
6. Do I need any prerequisite software to be
installed before using ADManager Plus?
No, ADManager Plus do not require any prerequisite software to
7. Can ADManager Plus work if DCOM is disabled
on remote systems?
Yes, ADManager Plus does not use the DCOM service to perform the
8. Does ADManager Plus support multiple languages?
Yes. In addition to English, ADManager Plus also supports Italian, Dutch, Chinese and Japanese languages.
9. Can I manage multiple Domains?
During startup, ADManager Plus adds all the domains that it could
resolve. You can also add Domains manually by clicking the Domain
Settings link in the client.
10. Can I manage domains of different forest?
Yes, you can add domains belonging to different forests.
11. What are the advantages of Bulk User Management
compared to Active Directory Tools?
The following are the advantages over Active Directory tools:
- Can create multiple users simultaneously.
- Can modify all the properties including Exchange and Terminal
Services properties for multiple users.
- Web-based management.
12. What is a User Template? What is the advantage
of using Template in Bulk User Creation?
A user template contains the values of the user attributes defined
in it. When you want to create user accounts with similar privileges
and permissions, you can create a template with the common attributes
and just change the values that differ, say the logon name, display
name, etc. This saves your time and helps avoid any possible errors.
13. What are the advantages of Delegation through
The following are the advantages:
- Minimizes the error when granting / revoking same permissions
for different users.
- Modifying a security role automatically delegates the permissions
for the previously delegated objects as well.
- Can create as many roles as required and can be delegated as
and when required.
14. What is the difference between account
disabled users and inactive users?
The user accounts that are disabled by the administrator are termed
as account disabled users. They do not have login permissions in
the domain. Inactive users are those who have login permissions
in the domain, but have not logged on to the domain for the specified
15. What is the difference between account
expired users and password expired users?
The account expired users are those whose user account has become
invalid. This may happen in cases where a temporary account is created
for a specific period beyond which the account expires.
The Password expired users are those who are not able to use their
account as their password has expired. As a security policy, the users
might be required to change the password within a specified period after
which they may not be able to login using their old password. The
password has to be reset for the user to login again.
|Reset password and set password propertied from a single web-based console, without compromising on the security of your AD! Delegate your password-reset powers to the helpdesk technicians too!
||Exhaustive reporting on Active Directory Users and user-attributes. Generate reports in user-activity in your Active Directory. Perform user-management actions right from the report interface!
|A mini Active Directory ticket-management and compliance toolkit right within ADManager Plus! Define a rigid yet flexible constitution for every task in your AD. Tighten the reins of your AD Security.
||Create and manage Exchange mailboxes and configure mailbox rights using ADManager Plus's Exchange Management system. Now with support for Microsoft Exchange 2010!!
|Get rid of the inactive, obsolete and unwanted objects in your Active Directory to make it more secure and efficient...assisted by ADManager Plus's AD Cleanup capabilities.
||A complete automation of AD critical tasks such as user provisioning, inactive-user clean up etc. Also lets you sequence and execute follow-up tasks and blends with workflow to offer a brilliant controlled-automation.
Need Features? Tell Us
If you want to see additional features implemented in ADManager Plus, we would love to hear. Click here to continue
"We evaluated ADManager Plus along with several other Active Directory Management and Reporting software. After using it really made life easy for administrators. It is very understandable and fast to learn, I didn't even read the manual."
Bogdan Campeanu, Network Engineer