Configuring Device Templates
During initial discovery, OpManager categorizes the network devices into servers, printers, switches, routers and firewalls. For proper classification, install and start the SNMP agent on all the managed devices.
OpManager comes with over 9000 device templates which carry the initial configurations to classify the devices into the pre-defined categories, and to associate monitors to them. The device templates enables you to effect a configuration once and is applied to several devices at a time whenever there is a change.
The templates carry the information required to classify the devices and to associate relevant monitors. You can define your own templates and modify the existing ones.
Creating/Modifying Device Templates
- Go to Settings → Configuration → Device Templates.
- Device Templates can also be Imported from ManageEngine Support / Community Forums / from a different instance of OpManager. Click here to learn how.
- To define a template for a new device type, click Add Template and proceed with the steps given below.
- To modify an existing template, click any existing Template name and configure/modify the following properties:
- Device Template: Specify the device type.
- Vendor Name: Select the vendor. Click New to add a new vendor, and Save.
- Category: Select the category for the device type. On discovery, the devices are automatically placed in the select Category map.
- Monitoring Interval: Configure the interval at which the device needs monitoring.
- Device Image: Select the image for this device type.
- Device Identifier : Type the sysOID and click Add (or) Click Query Device for OpManager to query the device for the OID.
- Associated Monitors: Click on Add to add monitors. You can choose to add an existing monitor or create a new SNMP monitor.
- Edit Thresholds: Click this option to edit thresholds of the Associated Monitors.
- Click the Save button to save all the changes.
- Device Templates are automatically associated to devices upon Discovery, however, it can also be done manually. To learn how to manually associate a Device Template to a new device, click here.
Device identifier is used to pin point an SNMP device by observing its sysOID. OpManager uses this feature to map the device to its respective device template. If you do not have the sysOID, you can also obtain it by querying an SNMP device of your network using Query Device. To further assist you with in \-depth device template classification, Additional SysOIDs can be employed. This is done by editing the existing sysOID and adding special criteria. Click here to learn more.
Choose and add Monitors to the Device Template. These Monitors will automatically be associated to the devices upon discovery. You can choose from existing Monitors or create new ones.
- Monitors: Choose a monitor from an existing list.
- SNMP: Add SNMP monitors by selecting the Device name, SNMP OID and Functional Expression.
- Bulk SNMP: Choose to add SNMP monitors in bulk.
- WMI: Add WMI monitors by choosing Device Name, Credentials and specifying Monitoring Interval.
The classified devices are placed under different categories for easy management. For proper device classification, make sure you have installed and started SNMP in all the network devices before starting OpManager service.
The default category includes:
- Load Balancer
- WAN Accelerator
- WAN RTT Monitors
- VoIP Monitors
You can also add your own infrastructure views. Custom infrastructure views can be added to group devices which cannot be classified under the default views provided. For instance, if you would like to monitor some IP Phones, it will not be appropriate to classify them as servers or desktops.
This initial classification may not be accurate if -
- The network devices do not support SNMP.
- some devices have their SNMP settings different from those specified in the Credential Settings.