Discovering Hyper-V Servers in OpManager
To discover the Hyper-V host and VMs, you just need to provide the IP address and WMI credentials of Hyper-V host. The VMs are automatically discovered along with the host.
Steps to discover the Hyper-V host and VMs:
Before proceeding to discover the host and VMs, ensure that you have configured the credentials for both the host and VMs in the credential library. To discover the host and VMs:
- Go to Virtualization → Hyper-V → Add Hyper-V.
- Enter the Host Name/IP Address of the Hyper-V server.
- Select the appropriate credential profile. You can also add a new credential profile by clicking on the Add Credentials button.
- Click Discover button to start the discovery process.
- OpManager detects all VMs under the server and lists them. You can choose which VMs to monitor by simply selecting/unselecting the VMs. Once you're done, click Next.
- In the final step of discovery, you can choose any SNMP/WMI/CLI credential profile to perform in-depth monitoring of your VMs. This will enable you to monitor metrics that are otherwise not possible using the primary WMI credential provided for the Hyper-V server.
- Choose a suitable Hyper-V scan interval to scan your server periodically for changes. You can also choose if you want to enable Auto VM Discovery by toggling the Discover new VMs automatically option.
- Once you're done selecting, click 'Discover' to initiate the discovery process. OpManager will continue to discover VMs in the background, and will alert you when it is completed.
If any of the VMs are already discovered or added, OpManager automatically maps them as a virtual Device.
If the device has been added successfully, but not displayed under the 'Virtualization' tab, search for that device in OpManager
. Once you find it, go to the Snapshot page and look for the device type (Navigate to Inventory -> Devices
and then click on a device to view its snapshot page) If it is mentioned as 'Unknown',
it means that wrong credentials have been provided or it was not reachable during discovery. Provide the correct credentials and click on 'Rediscover Now'
present under the sandwich menu at the top right corner in the snapshot page, to discover it as an Hyper-V host.
To learn more about Hyper-V monitoring, click here.