How to extend partitions or revert shrunk partitions?
This document will explain the steps to extend partitions or revert shrunk partitions. This can be done in two ways,
- Using Windows interface
- Using command line interface
Using Windows Interface
To shrink a basic volume partition using windows interface, follow the steps given below,
- Run diskmgmt.msc and open disk manager.
- You will be able to view the avaiable partition volumes now. Right-click the basic volume you want to extend.
- Click Extend Volume and follow the on screen instructions to complet the extending process.
Using a Command line interface:
To shrink a basic volume using a command line interface follow the steps given below,
- Open a command prompt and run command diskpart.
- At the DISKPART prompt, type list volume. Decide on the number of the simple volumes you want to extend.
- Now type select volume <volumenumber>. This selects the basic volume's volume number that you want to extend into contiguous empty space on the same disk.
- Type extend [size=<size>]. This will extend the selected volume to desired size in megabytes (MB).