How to automate enrollment of Win10 systems that are already managed with Desktop Central?
Desktop Central now supports modern management of Windows 10 laptops, desktops and surface pro. Modern management includes remotely locating and wiping devices if lost and many other features. To enable these features, these systems must be enrolled with the Mobile Device Management of Desktop Central even if it is already being managed by Desktop Central.
Follow the steps given below to simplify the enrollment process for these systems which are already managed by Desktop Central.
- Navigate to the Mobile Device Mgmt tab and select Enrollment from the left pane.
- Under the Windows Enrollment methods, click on Laptop and SurfacePro Enrollment.
- Click on Download to download the zip file titled ManageEngine_MDMLaptopEnrollment.zip. Extract the file once download is completed.
- Navigate to the Configurations tab on the Desktop Central console.
- Under Configurations, select Windows from the menu that appears when you hover over it.
- Select the Custom Script and then Computer.
- Provide a name to your Configuration.
- For the Execute script from option, choose Command line
- Enter enrollment.bat -s in the Command line text box.
- Click Add to add the dependency files. Here you have to add all the files available in the folder downloaded from the MDM tab.
- You can also choose the frequency based on your requirement.
The next step would be to select the target computers which need to be enrolled.
- Under Define target, you can choose the remote office or the domain for which you want to apply this configuration.
- Once you have selected your target systems, you can make the other changes as required.
- Click on either Deploy or Deploy Now.
But what happens if your organization purchases new laptops, would you have to run this configuration again for those systems? You don't have to! You can just create a Dynamic Custom Group to which systems are added if they meet certain criteria.
Follow the steps given below to create a dynamic custom group:
- Navigate to Admin and under Global Settings select Custom Groups
- Click on Create new group.
- Enter a Group Name and under Category select Dynamic.
- Configure to ensure that any new Win 10 system gets added to this custom group.
- Click on Create Group.
Once the custom group is created, you can choose this group while defining a target for the created configuration. This will ensure that any new system that in managed by Desktop Central will automatically get enrolled with MDM.
Assigning users to the systems
Once the system is enrolled with MDM, it will be available in the Laptop and SurfacePro Enrollment page along with the rest of the mobile devices. You can complete the user assignment process as explained earlier in this document.