How do I deploy JRE 8, JDK 8 and JDK 11 for Windows and MAC using Desktop Central?
When the user attempts to download the latest update of JDK / JRE, it requires the login credentials to download the installer file. So instead of downloading, the user can manually create a package for Java. This document provides you with steps required to deploy JRE 8, JDK 8 and JDK 11 for Windows and MAC using Desktop Central.
To create a package for Java, follow the steps given below:
- Click the Software Deployment tab.
- In the Packages section, click on Add Package and choose the required platform: either Windows or MAC.
- Enter your package details and select the Package Type as EXE.
- Download the files of Oracle Java applications using the links given here: JRE 8, JDK 8 & JDK 11.
- Select From Local Computer and click on Choose File to upload the downloaded files.
- Under the Installation tab specify the Installation Command with Switches/Arguments based on which application you wish to install. The silent switches for Java 8 & 11 are given below:
- JRE 8: /s REBOOT=Suppress REMOVEOUTOFDATEJRES=1
- JDK 8 / JDK 11: /s REBOOT=Suppress
- JRE 8 for MAC: installer -pkg "/Volumes/Java 8 Update 211/Java 8 Update 211.app/Contents/Resources/JavaAppletPlugin.pkg" -target /
- JDK 8 / JDK 11 for MAC: There aren't any switches to be specified for JDK MAC. It can directly be deployed as a configuration.
- Once you complete filling in the package details click on Add Package.
- Now your package for Oracle Java application is created. Click on Action and select 'System Configuration' to deploy this package. Instead, you can also select the package which you've created -> click on Install/Uninstall Software -> Choose to deploy as 'Computer Configuration'.
- After filling in the Configuration details, click Deploy.
You've deployed the Oracle Java application using Desktop Central.