How to install Windows XP SP3?
This document will brief you the steps involved in installing Windows XP SP3 using Desktop Central.
What way is it different from other Service Packs?
Windows XP SP3 cannot be installed if you have the following updates installed on your computer:
- Microsoft Shared Computer Toolkit
- Remote Desktop Connection (RDP) 6.0 MUI
If any of these updates are installed, the XP SP3 installation will fail with an error "STATUS_PREREQUISITE_FAILED”
You need to uninstall these updates prior to installing Windows XP SP3
Reference: Microsoft KB 949388
Steps to Install Windows XP SP3 using Desktop Central
- Download the Windows XP Service Pack 3 from Microsoft Website.
- Create a network share and place the downloaded SP 3 file. The network share should have read permissions for the "Authenticated Users" group.
- Download the uninstall_kb925877.txt and rename it as uninstall_kb925877.vbs. Copy this script to the network share created in step 2.
- Add a software package for Windows XP SP3 and specify the following details:
- The package type as EXE
- Select the path type as Network Path if the deployment is in LAN or HTTP Path for deployment in WAN
- Installation Command with Switches and Arguments: Complete network path of WindowsXP-KB936929-SP3-x86-ENU.exe file with the following arguments: quiet /passive /norestart . Eg. \\MyShare\WindowsXPSP3\ WindowsXP-KB936929-SP3-x86-ENU.exe /quiet /passive /norestart
- Select the option “ Run the Script before Installing Software” and specify the complete path to the uninstall_kb925877.vbs. You need to prefix wscript.exe in the path. Do not specify any Exit Code. Eg. wscript.exe \\MyShare\WindowsXPSP3\ uninstall_kb925877.vbs
- Define an Install Software Configuration and deploy.
Note: You need to restart the computers after successful deployment (the status should be Executed)