RPC Server Unavailable
Unable to reach computer while installing image creator components.
RPC Server is unavailable as:
- "File and Printer Sharing" is disabled
- Remote Administration is disabled
- RPC services is stopped
- Connection blocked by firewall
- Computer reachability issues
- Enable "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks": Enable "File and Printer Sharing" in the network adapter of the client computers as follows:
- Select Start --> Settings --> Network Connections.
- Right-click on Network Connection and select Properties.
- In the connection properties dialog, select the General tab.
- Select the "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks" and click OK.
- If you do not find this option, click Install button.
- In the network component type, select Service and click Add.
- Select File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks and click OK.
- Click Close to exit the properties dialog
- Enable Remote Administration in client machine's Firewall: Steps to enable Remote Administration in Firewall:
- Click Start --> Run
- Type gpedit.msc and click OK
- Expand Computer Configuration --> Administrative Templates --> Network --> Network Connections --> Windows Firewall --> Domain Profile.
- Right-click Windows Firewall: Allow remote administration exception, and then click Properties.
- Click Enabled, and then click OK.
- Start RPC services: Follow the steps given below to start RPC services
- To open the services console on the server, go to Start > Run > type "Services.msc" and press enter.
- Locate the Remote Procedure Call (RPC), DCOM Server Process Launcher, Server and RPC Endpoint Mapper services and ensure that the service is running.
Note: In some older versions of Windows, DCOM Server Process Launcher and RPC Endpoint Mapper services may not be available.
- Ensure that the Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) service is running, right click on it, select properties and under General tab set Startup type as Automatic.
- Ensure that TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper service is running, right click on it, select properties and under General tab set Startup type as Automatic.
- Unblock firewall connections: Follow the below steps to unblock/disable firewall,
- If any firewall is blocking the connections, disable or unblock them.
If a third-party firewall software, security application or a network firewall appliance is blocking the connection, refer its documentation to ensure if it can be properly configured to handle RPC traffic.
- Computer connection should be reachable: Follow the steps given below to ensure that the computer is reachable,
- Execute ping command to check basic connectivity between RPC client and server
- If the client and server are on different subnets, ensure that traffic is properly routed between the two. If they are in different physical locations, ensure that the link between the sites is up and allowing traffic to pass freely.
Keywords: RPC server unavailable, firewall connections, computer reachability issues.