How to configure SuSE Linux settings in Endpoint Central?
Endpoint Central for SuSE Linux enables administrators to manage all security patches that are released by the SuSE Linux, for subscribed SuSE Linux servers and desktops. It allows you to identify missing SuSE package updates, install them and audit the updates, helping enterprises maintain high level of security across Linux endpoints.
This how-to document provides prerequisites to patch SuSE systems and instructions to configure SuSE settings.
Configure proxy settings and ensure https://scc.suse.com/subscriptions is accessible from your Endpoint Central server.
Install Endpoint Central agents on the SuSE systems to be patched.
Allow your proxy to download .rpm files.
Verify if you have purchased sufficient licenses for your patching requirements.
Steps to configure SuSE Linux settings in Endpoint Central:
- Provide the valid registration code that is available for your SuSE subscription. Endpoint Central requires registration code to validate your subscription and download metadata files and patch binaries for your SuSE machines.
- You will find the registration code on the SuSE portal
Architecture and process of SuSE patching:
This section explains the processes involved in patching SuSE systems using Endpoint Central with the help of an architecture diagram.
Steps involved in the process of scanning and patch deployment:
- a) The Endpoint Central server syncs supported latest patches information from ManageEngine's central Patch Repository.
b) The Endpoint Central downloads the metadata files from SuSE repository. This data is required for scanning missing dependencies in SuSE machines.
- The server initiates scan on all the SuSE systems and detects the missing patches and its dependencies.
- Then it downloads the patches and dependencies from the SuSE repository.
- a) The downloaded files are replicated from the Endpoint Central server to the Distribution Server(s). The remote office agents download the files from the Distribution Server.
b)Other agents download the files from the Endpoint Central Server.
- Once patches are downloaded and available, deployment is carried out.