How to upgrade to macOS Big Sur using Desktop Central?
This document provides the steps to upgrade your Mac operating system to macOS 11 Big Sur using Desktop Central. By deploying Big Sur OS to your Mac computers will not impact the data found on the target computers. It will only upgrade the operating system.
Here are the system requirements to upgrade your Mac operating system to Big Sur.
- The computer should be running on macOS 10.9 or later versions.
- A minimum of 35.5 GB free space is required.
- A minimum of 4 GB RAM memory is required.
You can refer this page for more details : MacOS 11 Big Sur System Requirements
To deploy MacOS 11 Big Sur, follow the steps given below:
- Download macOS BigSur from the App store. This will be stored in the Applications folder.
- Execute tar -zcvf installBigSur.tar.gz Install\ macOS\ Big\ Sur.app/ in the terminal to zip the application from the Applications folder.
- The zipped application should be placed in a network share folder in a Windows computer.
- Download this script. This script will connect with the network share folder where the zip file is present. The zip file will be copied and the MacOS will be upgraded in all the target machines through Desktop Central.
- It is mandatory to execute the command from Applications folder.
- By executing cd /Applications/ you can navigate to Applications folder from the terminal.
Steps to deploy macOS Big Sur using Desktop Central
- Modify the script (BigSurOSupgrade.sh) and change the "SERVERPATH" parameter to the path of the shared folder where the zip file is present. The format of "SERVERPATH" parameter is provided in the script.
- Open Configurations tab.
- Click Script Repository and select Add Script.
- Provide the Script Name, select Mac, upload the script and click Add.
- Go to Configurations Tab and select Mac OS.
- Click Custom Script and select Computer configuration.
- Deploy BigSurOSupgrade.sh script from the script repository.
- Choose target computers and Deploy.
Note:Since the size of the file is 12.9 GB, it will take some time to load from the repository.
You have successfully deployed MacOS 11 Big Sur operating system to the target computers.