Hackers attempted to embezzle funds worth nearly $15 million from Bank of Valletta.
On February 14, 2019, Malta-based Bank of Valletta (BOV) had to shut down its operations after hackers attempted to withdraw €13 million ($14.7 million) from its systems. All branches, ATMs, mobile banking, and email services were suspended, and the BOV website was taken offline.
BOV employees discovered that intruders had hacked their systems during daily reconciliation operations of international transfers. Thirty minutes after the detection, the bank closed its operations and fortified its systems. The hackers had attempted to transfer €13 million to different bank accounts in the UK, US, Czech Republic, and Hong Kong.
In a statement issued by the Prime Minister of Malta, Joseph Muscat reassured customers that their accounts and deposits were not compromised, and that the bank was working to resume normal services as soon as possible. The authorities were able to trace the transactions and reverse them. The bank subsequently brought in Malta's financial regulator, MFSA, and the National Cyber Security Committee to help with investigations.
Don't want to make the news for the wrong reasons? Download ManageEngine Log360, the tool that can help combat internal and external security attacks.
How ManageEngine can help.
Log360, our comprehensive SIEM solution, can help your organization:
- Identify cross-site scripting (XSS) attacks, malicious file installations, DoS attacks, SQL injection, and more with its real-time correlation capability. Alert security teams in real time about events that require their immediate attention, such as account lockouts, security group membership changes, unauthorized access attempts to files or folders, and network attacks.
- Detect unauthorized network access attempts with its built-in STIX/TAXII feeds processor. Log360 also has a global IP threat database that can instantly detect known malicious traffic passing through the network as well as outbound connections to malicious domains and callback servers. The global threat database contains over 600 million blacklisted IP addresses that are collected from trusted open sources and updated daily.
- Find potential insider threats with the user behavior analytics engine, which creates a baseline of normal activities that are specific to each user and notifies security personnel instantly when there's a deviation from this norm. Rather than using static threshold values, this tool employs a combination of data analytics and machine learning to define dynamic thresholds based on real-world user behavior.
- Obtain important forensic information about incidents. The collected logs can be securely archived to help prove adherence to compliance standards and reduce potential legal penalties during investigations.
- Automatically raise incidents as tickets to the designated administrator in ServiceDesk Plus, JIRA, Zendesk, Kayako, or ServiceNow to create an incident resolution process that's swift and accountable.
Download a free trial version of Log360 to test these features out yourself.
Latest Ransomware attacks
Latest Data breach attacks
Latest Email Phishing attacks
Latest DoS and DDoS attacks
Latest Brute force attack
Latest Advanced persistent threat (APT)
Stay In The Know
Subscribe to our digest to get your weekly dose of cyber security updates straight to your inbox.
Thank you. You will receive weekly cybersecurity news soon!