Online tutoring platform Wyzant suffers data breach.
On May 2, 2019, Chicago-based Wyzant revealed that unknown attackers breached their database and accessed customers' personal data. Information that may have been compromised includes first names, last names, email addresses, zip codes, and Facebook profile pictures of users who had signed into Wyzant using their Facebook account.
On April 27, 2019, Wyzant identified an anomaly in its database, and after a subsequent investigation, learned that unknown attackers had gained access to the personally identifiable information (PII) of their customers. Fortunately, passwords and financial information were not exposed during the breach. Wyzant assured that the issue was immediately fixed, and they notified the law enforcement authorities as well as all affected customers. To safeguard their data from such attacks in the future, they've implemented stronger security measures; however, the full extent of the breach is still unknown.
Threats are everywhere, and it's important for your business to be prepared for such incidents. If you want to stay out of the news for the wrong reasons, invest in a comprehensive SIEM solution like ManageEngine Log360.
Download a 30-day, free trial to combat cybersecurity attacks.
Here's how ManageEngine can help to thwart such incidents.
Log360, our comprehensive SIEM solution, can help your organization by:
- Alerting security teams in real time about events that require their immediate attention, such as network attacks, unauthorized access attempts to files or folders, security group membership changes, and account lockouts.
- Detecting unauthorized network access attempts with its built-in Structured Threat Information eXpression (STIX/TAXII) feeds processor. Log360 also has a global IP threat database, through which it can instantly detect known malicious traffic passing through the network, as well as outbound connections to malicious domains and callback servers. Its global IP threat database contains more than 600 million blacklisted IP addresses that are collected from trusted open-source threat feeds and updated daily.
- Finding potential insider threats with its user and entity behavior analytics engine, which creates a baseline of normal activities that are specific to each user, and then notifies security personnel instantly when there's a deviation from this norm. Rather than using static threshold values, Log360 employs a combination of data analytics and machine learning to define dynamic thresholds based on real-world user behavior.
- Obtaining important forensic information about incidents. The collected logs can be securely archived to help prove adherence to compliance standards and reduce potential legal penalties during investigations.
- Automatically raising incidents as tickets to specific technicians in ServiceDesk Plus, JIRA, Zendesk, Kayako, or ServiceNow to create an incident resolution process that's swift and accountable.
Download a free trial of Log360 to see the tool in action for yourself.
Latest Ransomware attacks
Latest Data breach attacks
Latest Email Phishing attacks
Latest DoS and DDoS attacks
Latest Brute force attack
Latest Advanced persistent threat (APT)