How to deploy Microsoft Office 2016/Office 365?
This document provides you the steps required to deploy Microsoft Office 2016 to multiple computers using Desktop Central.
Before you deploy the software application, ensure that the computers to which you deploy Microsoft Office 2016 meet the system requirements prescribed by Microsoft. Refer to https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=49117 for more details.
To deploy Microsoft Office 2016, follow the steps given below:
Download the Office 2016 Tool
- Download Microsoft office 2016 tool from the Microsoft website (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=49117) and store in the network share. Network share is recommended only if you want to deploy the software to computers within the network. If you wanted to deploy Microsoft Office to computers located in a remote location, you can use HTTP upload.
Note: The network share should have read permissions to Everyone group and should be accessible from all the computers to which you are trying to install.
Extract the contents of the EXE
- To extract the downloaded package, navigate to the command prompt and run this command - <File Path>\officedeploymenttool_6612-6352.exe /extract:<File Path>\Destination Folder /quiet
Note: Ensure that you enter the correct file name in the command prompt before extracting the package. You can know the file name by viewing the details, before downloading the package from the website.
Customize the Installation
- Open the Configuration.xml file from the extracted folder and the edit the file as given below,
Note: If you are copying the contents from CD, edit the config.xml file available at \\Networkshare\Office16\ProPlus.WW\Config.xml
<Product ID="O365ProPlusRetail" PIDKEY="XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX">
<Language ID="en-US" />
<ExcludeApp ID="Access" />
<Updates Enabled="True" />
<Display Level="None" AcceptEULA="True" />
<Property Name="AutoActivate" Value="1" />
<Property Name="ForceAppShutdown" Value="True" />
- Product ID depends on the edition you require. For Office 2016 professional plus enter "ProPlusRetail", for Office 365 enter "O365ProPlusRetail"
- Office Client edition depends on your OS architecture(32 or 64-bit)
- Setting AutoActivate value as 1 will allow user to access the application directly without specifying the log in credentials
- Setting ForceAppShutdown value as "True" will close all the microsoft office applications forcibly, before shutting down the computers. This may cause any data loss when microsoft office applications are running in the background.
- Save the file, after making the customization changes.
Download the Complete Package
- To download the complete package by using the customized xml, navigate to the command prompt and run this command - <File Path>\setup.exe /download <File Path>/config.xml
After downloading the package, you can deploy it through Desktop Central.
Adding the software package in Desktop Central
- Click the Software Deployment tab
- Click Add Package
- Select the MSIEXEC/EXE/ISS/Command package type
- Specify a name for the application
- Choose Network Path/Http Path based on your requirement and Locate/Add the files
- Specify the Installation Command with Switches/Arguments as <Share Path>\setup.exe /configure <Share Path>\configuration.xml
For example, \\computer_name\DCSWRepository\Office2016Exreacted\setup.exe /configure \\computer_name\DCSWRepository\Office2016Exreacted\configuration.xml
Note: When you are copying the packages from a CD specify the silent switch as - <Share Path>\setup.exe /config <Share Path>\config.xml
- Click Add Package
Deploy to target computers
- Select the package that you added
- Click Install/Uninstall Software
- Enter a name and description for the configuration
- Define the package settings
- Configure the deployment settings
- Choose the target computers
- Specify the schedule options, if required
- Click Deploy
You have deployed Microsoft Office 2016 successfully.