How to deploy MicroSoft Project Professional 2010?
This document provides steps required to deploy MS Project 2010 to multiple computers using Desktop Central.
Before you deploy the software application, ensure that the computers to which you deploy MS Project 2010 meet the system requirements prescribed by Microsoft. Refer to http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee624351.aspx#section12 for more details.
To deploy MS Project 2010, follow the steps given below:
- Create a common network share to store the required installable file.
Note: The network share should have read permissions to the Everyone in the group and should be accessible from all the computers to which you are trying to install.
- Extract the contents of the EXE
Note: If you are not copying the contents from a CD, then execute the following command in the directory where the installer is present.
Example: ProjectProfessional.exe /extract:D:\Software\MSProject2010\Extracted\
a. Copy all the extracted contents from the <target_directory> with the same directory structure, to the network share that you created.
- Customize the following procedure for Installation / Uninstallation
- Download the Office Customization Tool (OCT) from the following URL and install it: http://www.microsoft.com/en-in/download/details.aspx?id=18968
Note: When installing the OCT, you are required to specify the network share, that you created, as the location extract the files. Three folders will be extracted from the OCT. They are ADM, Admin, and ADMX.
- Open a command prompt window
- Change the directory to the network share where you have copied the installable file
Follow the procedure to Install MS Project 2010 / to Uninstall the MS Project 2010
- Enter setup.exe /admin
Note: This opens the OCT from where you can specify the information about the License, Company, and change outlook profiles.
- Click on the "Licensing and User Interface" , and Enter the required Product Key
Note: If you select the MAK(Multiple Activation Key) option, you are required to enter a 25-character key. However, if you select the KMS key option, you need not enter any key.
- Select the Display Level as "None"
- Check the "Suppress Modal" checkbox
- Uncheck the "Completion notice" checkbox
- Click on Remove previous installations and Specify whether to choose "Default set up behaviour; earlier versions of the installed programs are removed" or "Remove the following earlier versions of Microsoft Office programs"
Note: The default setting is to remove all the older version. If you want to retain some of the office components select the Remove the following earlier versions of Microsoft Office programs option and choose the components that you want to retain.
- Make the following settings if you do not want computers to reboot after installation:
- In the left panel of OCT, Click on Setup, and select "Modify Setup Properties"
- Click on "Add"
- In the Name field, that has poped out, type "SETUP_REBOOT"
- In the Value field, type "Never"
- Click on OK to save the settings
This ensures that your computers will not be rebooted after installations.
a. Edit <share_path>PrjPror.WW\config.xml.
<Display Level="none" CompletionNotice="no" SuppressModal="yes" AcceptEula="yes" />
<Setting Id="SETUP_REBOOT" Value="Never" />
- Adding the package in Desktop Central
- Click the Software Deployment tab
- Click Add Package
- Select the MSIEXEC/EXE/ISS/Command package type
- Specify a name for the application
- Specify the Installation Command with Switches/Arguments as
<share_name>\setup.exe/adminfile"<share_name>\<msp file name>"
Example: \\DC-machine1softwareMSProject2010setup.exe /adminfile "\DC-machine1softwareMSProject2010custom.msp"
Specify the UnInstallation Command with Switches/Arguments�as
<share_name>\setup.exe /uninstall PrjPror /config "<share_name>\<config_xml_name>"
Example: \\dc-windows7\Software$\MSProject2010\Extracted\setup.exe /uninstall PrjPror /config \\dc-windows7\Software$\MSProject2010\Extracted\PrjPror.WW\config.xml�
- Click Add Package
- Deploy to target computers
- Select the package that you added
- Click Install/Uninstall Software
- Enter a name and description for the configuration
- Define the package settings
- Configure the deployment settings
- Choose the target computers
- Specify the schedule options, if required
- Click Deploy