How to upgrade to Windows 10 Operating System using Desktop Central?
This document provides you the steps required to upgrade Windows operating system to Windows 10 (Windows 10 version 1709 - Fall creators update) using Desktop Central. Deploying Windows 10 will not impact any data on the target computers, this will upgrade only the operating system.
You can upgrade your Windows operating system to Windows 10, only if the following system requirements are met:
- Computer should be running on Windows 7(service pack 1) or later versions
- A minimum of 16GB (32 bit) / 20GB (64 bit) of free space is required on the hard disk
- A minimum of 1GB (32 bit) / 2GB (64 bit) RAM memory is required
You can refer to this link for more details : Windows 10 System Requirements
To deploy Windows 10, follow the steps given below:
Downloading and Extracting an ISO file
- Download Windows 10 ISO file from Volume Licensing Service Center or MSDN.
Note: You can also download the ISO from Microsoft Software Download center provided that you have a license key to deploy the package.
- Extract the ISO file and Store the extracted contents in the network share. The network share should have read permissions to Everyone group and should be accessible from all the computers to which you are trying to install.
Note: Ensure that the editions, architecture and OS languages of your machines are compatible with the downloaded ISO file.
You have successfully extracted the ISO file and it is ready to be deployed via software package.
Deploying Windows 10 using Desktop Central
- Click on Software Deployment Tab
- Under Packages, click Add Package
- Choose the application type as MSIEXEC/EXE/ISS/Command
- Specify the name of the package
- Choose Network Path and click Browse to locate the setup.exe
- Under Installation command with Switches/Arguments enter the following -
For ISO file downloaded from Volume Licensing Service Center or MSDN -
"\\<sharename>\<foldername>\setup.exe" /auto upgrade /quiet
Example: "\\DC-machine-1\c$\Desktopcentral\Software Reposity\win10_DVD\setup.exe" /auto upgrade /quiet
For ISO file downloaded from Microsoft Software Download center -
"\\<sharename>\<foldername>\setup.exe" /auto upgrade /quiet /PKey "XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX"
Note: If you are upgrading Windows 10 from build (1507, 1511, 1607, 1703) to 1709(Windows 10 Fall Creater Update), you need not provide any license key and the silent switch should be - "\\<sharename>\<foldername>\setup.exe" /auto upgrade /quiet
- Specify the pre & post installation activities if required
- Click Add Package to complete package creation
- Select the package that you have added
- Click Install/Uninstall Software
- Enter a name and description for the configuration
- Define the package settings
- Configure the deployment settings
- Choose the target computers
- Specify the schedule options, if required
- Click Deploy
You have successfully deployed Windows 10 operating system to the target computers.