How to uninstall Microsoft Skype?
This document provides you the steps to uninstall Microsoft Skype using Endpoint Central.
Steps to uninstall Skype Microsoft store app:
- Create powershell script with the below command (RemoveSkype.ps1).
Get-AppxPackage -allusers Microsoft.SkypeApp | Remove-AppxPackage
- Create package from DC and upload RemoveSkype.ps1 file
- Provide the below command as the installation command and create the package
powershell.exe -ExecutionPolicy RemoteSigned -File ./RemoveSkype.ps1
- Deploy the script through the Software deployment option as User configuration to the target machines.
Refer this article for deploying powershell script as a package from Endpoint Central.
Steps to uninstall Skype MSI version:
- Create uninstallSkype.xml file in the location where you have the Microsoft office package
- Edit uninstallSkype.xml file as given below,
<Display Level="none" CompletionNotice="no" SuppressModal="yes" AcceptEula="yes" />
<Setting Id="SETUP_REBOOT" Value="Never"/>
- Save the file, after making the customization changes. Note: Refer this document to know more about Microsoft Skype Product ID
- Create a package in Endpoint Central with MSIEXEC/EXE/ISS/Command as package type.
- Specify the UnInstallation Command with Switches/Arguments as setup.exe /uninstall LyncEntry /config uninstallSkype.xml
For example, "\\DC-K12R2-1\DCSWRepository\SkypeForBusiness\setup.exe" /uninstall LyncEntry /config "\\DC-K12R2-1\DCSWRepository\SkypeForBusiness\uninstallSkype.xml"
- Click Add Package
- Create the configuration with the created package and deploy this to the target machine.
Steps to uninstall Skype for Business Basic 2016 Click-to-Run version:
- Download Office Deployment Tool and extract the files in a folder.
- Create a configuration file to uninstall Skype for Business Basic 2016 in the folder.
<Product ID="SkypeforBusinessEntryRetail" >
<Language ID="en-us" />
<Display Level="None" AcceptEULA="TRUE"/>
- Create package in Endpoint Central
- Upload setup.exe and uninstallSkypeForBusiness.xml using HTTP upload option.
- Use the below switch to uninstall the application
setup.exe /configure uninstallSkypeForBusiness.xml
- If you want to uninstall using Network Path/HTTP Path, then paste the setup.exe and uninstallSkypeForBusiness.xml to the shared path and provide uninstall command as below:
"\setup.exe" /configure "\uninstallSkypeForBusiness.xml"
- Create the configuration with the created package and deploy this to the target machine
Steps to remove Skype from Office 365:
- Download Office Deployment tool. Extract the downloaded files to a folder.
- Create uninstallSkype.xml file in the extracted office setup folder:
<Language ID="MatchOS" />
<ExcludeApp ID="Lync" />
<Display Level="None" AcceptEULA="TRUE" />
Note: If you are using Office 365 business edition, then the product ID should be O365BusinessRetail. The product ID may changed based on Office 365 edition used.
- Use the /download command to download all the dependant files.
- setup.exe /download uninstallSkype.xml
- Create Software Package in Endpoint Central. Zip the setup.exe, uninstallSkype.xml and the other downloaded Office files from this folder. Upload the zip files in the Endpoint Central package.
- Provide the silent switch as follows: setup.exe /configure uninstallSkype.xml
- If you want to uninstall using Network Path/HTTP Path, then paste the setup.exe and uninstallSkype.xml to sharepath and provide uninstall command as below: "<sharepath>\setup.exe" /configure "<sharepath>\uninstallSkype.xml"
- Deploy the package to the target machines. This will remove Skype For Business from the target machines. Note : Running this configuration will result in only Skype For Business exclusion.
- If you have excluded apps such as Groove or OneNote from the initial install, then you need to add them in the excluded apps list in uninstall xml.
- Kindly test this first before deploying it to the target machines.