With networks scaling across wired, wireless, and virtual IT environments, network management only becomes increasingly complex putting network admins in need of all the help they can get. With a myriad of network management solutions available in the market, it is important to zero in on the right one. Network Management Tools generally help you assemble various metrics of the network in a single easy to comprehend dashboard. Among these network management solutions available, a reliable and effective network management solution needn't necessarily take up a huge chuck of your budget. An effective, secure, yet an affordable network management solution is your best bet to streamline network management. Comprehensive network management solutions are to be preferred for large organizational networks, as they help reduce the complexity involved in depending on multiple tools to manage networks. Choosing the right real-time network management software is revolutionary in your marketing game.
OpManager tool is a proactive network management software that reduces network solutions outage and gain control over the network quickly.
Network management solutions - Four critical aspects
1. Fault identification in network management platform
The biggest challenge with today's networking management tools, is to proactively identify faults before it impacts end-users. Among numerous network monitoring tools, ManageEngine OpManager, a trusted network management system, detects, isolates and troubleshoots faults, raises alarms to remediate faults quickly.
ManageEngine OpManager, the integrated network management software
OpManager is a comprehensive enterprise network management solution which enables you to monitor the performance, availability and health of all your network devices. This network management system uses the SNMP/WMI/CLI network protocols to fetch performance data from network devices. This data is then displayed to the end user on the network control system i.e on the management tool's web console.
Using OpManager network management solution you can:
- Set multiple thresholds for performance metrics.
- Stay ahead of network issues with the network manager tool's adaptive threshold based alerts.
- Keep an eye on monitored metrics with the network management dashboard.
- Get proactively notified for threshold violations and faults through email and SMS.
- Process SNMP traps and syslogs and raise alerts based on threshold set on the networking management software..
- Automatically log alarms as tickets into a service desk software.
Hence, OpManager undoubtedly is an advanced network management software.
2. Network Performance Management
For all network software, performance management involves troubleshooting faults either through a manual or automated approach so that the network performance is restored to its original or improved condition. For this task, network admins rely on real-time network management solutions like OpManager. This network manager software's real-time network management offers basic and advanced network management services to fix faults that degrade network performance.
OpManager network management tool troubleshoots network faults through:
- Inbuilt tools - OpManager, the network monitoring software, offers a variety of tools such as ping, traceroute, MIB browser, remote control, and more to troubleshoot basic performance issues.
- NCM module - OpManager includes a network configuration management module to manage configuration changes. With this, it is easier to automate configuration backups, adhere to compliance policies, and detect network changes in real time.
Additionally, a network assessment tool helps you check if your IT infrastructure is aligned with the business goals and helps in framing a reliable network management strategy. Analyze the top network management tools and you will understand why OpManager stands out matching your expectations.
3. Network Provisioning
An important aspect of network management is network provisioning. Ever network monitor must have network provisioning involves calculating the load handled by the network and future demands based on the current network trend. It also involves keeping resources in reserve so that when a need arises, it becomes easier to handle. A network control software would enable you to identify network trends and effectively provision your network.
OpManager network management service helps in resource management with:
- Capacity Planning Reports - OpManager is pre built with 150+ network management reports that provide information on device upgrades, bandwidth usage, disk & memory utilization etc. These reports help in identifying network trends and assist in resource allocation.
- IP Address and Switch Port Management - OpManager's IP address & switch port management console, helps in managing IP addresses and switch ports for space and availability. OpManager tackles IP and switch port conflicts, audits user access and provides prompt notifications on status changes.
4. Maintaining QoS in network management
It is common for network performance to degrade as years pass by. Therefore, it is essential to deliver quality IT services to end-users meet the SLA month on month. OpManager, the automated network management tool helps you adhere to service level agreements and achieves 99.9% availability for your network and business critical applications. With business level dashboards, it is possible to detect the factors affecting your business in real time.
Additional network management tasks handled by OpManager:
Workflows in network management:
Enterprise network management involves on-demand and scheduled tasks such as testing network faults, executing backup scripts etc. Most of these network management tasks are repetitive and time consuming. Automating such tasks will help admins and technicians save a lot of time and effort. Automated network management also helps you reduce your workforce and enable implementation of simple automated troubleshooting techniques for your network.
For example, whenever you get a device down alarm, you will ping the device and do a traceroute to know if there is any packet loss, where exactly it is happening or if the device is actually down. These repetitive tasks can be automated with workflows.OpManager, the trusted network management and monitoring tool supports around 80 actions that can be automated with workflows.
Some of the network management tasks handled by OpManager workflows include:
- Automatically stop/restart a service or a process.
- Shutdown/restart/suspend a VM.
- Execute scripts and verify its output.
- Backup network configurations automatically.
- Detect the last changes done on a network device.
Advanced configuration management with NCM Module:
Network configurations are important for any network, and any change in them adversely impacts the security, reliability and the quality of service provided. These changes are complex to manage and this increases multi-fold when done manually and requires robust network management configuration tools. According to an internal survey, nearly 50% of IT pros agreed that changes to network configurations led to outages several times a year. In these cases, a configuration management tool will be handy to prevent such changes in the first place or roll back immediately.
ManageEngine OpManager's network configuration module aids in network management by automating configuration backups, detecting network changes and ensuring that the compliance policies are adhered to. With approval based configuration changes, administrators can be aware of any external network changes by allowing or denying network users to make changes to device configurations.
NCM add-on assists in network management by:
- Automating configuration backups.
- Discovering and remediating network policy violations.
- Executing scripts automatically to combat unauthorized network changes.
- Visualizing trends in device configuration changes.
- Verifying configurations/device for PCI compliance.
FAQs on Network management solution
What is network management?
Why do we need network management software?
What are network management solutions?
What are network management tools?
How does network management tool work?