Software Installation - How To
How to deploy Microsoft Visio 2010?
This document provides steps required to deploy Microsoft Visio 2010 to multiple computers using Desktop Central.
Before you deploy the software application, ensure that the computers to which you deploy Microsoft Visio 2010 meet the system requirements prescribed by Microsoft. Refer to http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee624351.aspx#section15 for more details.
To deploy Microsoft Visio 2010, follow the steps given below:
- Create a common network share to store the required installable file.
Note: The network share should have read permissions to Everyone in the group and should be accessible from all the computers to which you are trying to install.
- Extract the contents of the EXE
Note: If you are not copying the contents from a CD, then execute the following command in the directory where the installer is present.
Example: VisioSingleImage.exe /extract:D:\Software\MicrosoftVisio2010-32bit\Extracted-Setup
Copy all the extracted contents, with the same directory structure, to the network share that you created.
- Customize the following procedure for Installation / Uninstallation
- Download the Office Customization Tool (OCT) from the following URL and install it: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=64B837B6-0AA0-4C07-BC34-BEC3990A7956&displaylang=en
Note: When installing the OCT, you are required to specify the network share, that you created, as the location extract the files. Three folders will be extracted from the OCT. They are ADM, Admin, and ADMX.
- Open a command prompt window
- Change the directory to the network share where you have copied the installable file
- Enter setup.exe /admin
Note: This opens the OCT from where you can specify the information about the license, information about the company, and change outlook profiles.
- Enter the required product key under Licensing and user interface.
Note: If you select the MAK(Multiple Activation Key) option, you are required to enter a 25-character key. However, if you select the KMS key option, you are not required to enter a key.
- Select the Display Level as None and select the Suppress Modal check box Completion notice should be unchecked as it wll be checked by default.
- Specify whether to remove the installations of older versions
Note: The default setting is to remove all the older version. If you want to retain some of the office components select the Remove the following earlier versions of Microsoft Office programs option and choose the components that you want to retain.
- Make the following settings if you do not want computers to reboot after installation:
- In the OCT, under Setup, click Modify Setup Properties
- Click Add
- In the Name field, enter SETUP_REBOOT
- In the Value section, type Never
Your computers will not be rebooted after installation.
- Adding the package in Desktop Central
- Click the Software Deployment tab
- Click Add Package
- Select the MSIEXEC/EXE/ISS/Command package type
- Specify a name for the application
- Specify the Installation Command with Switches/Arguments as
<share_name>setup.exe /adminfile "<share_name><msp file name>"
Example: \\DC-machine1\software\MSVisio2010\setup.exe /adminfile "\\DC-machine1\software\MSVisio2010\custom.msp"
- Click Add Package
- Deploy to target computers
- Select the package that you have added
- Click Install/Uninstall Software
- Enter a name and description for the configuration
- Define the package settings
- Configure the deployment settings
- Choose the target computers
- Specify the schedule options, if required
- Click Deploy
You have deployed Microsoft Visio 2010.