Working with Desktop Central
Starting Desktop Central
To start Desktop Central, select Start --> Programs --> ManageEngine Desktop Central --> Start Desktop Central
On starting the Desktop Central, the client is automatically launched
in the default browser.
The following processes are started along with the Desktop Central:
- java.exe - Desktop Central Server
- mysqld-nt.exe - Database Server
- wrapper.exe - For system tray operations
When Desktop Central is started in Windows XP / Windows 2003 machines
with firewall enabled, Windows will pop up security alerts asking whether
to block or unblock the the following programs as shown in the images
- mysqld-nt - Database server
- Java(TM) 2 Platform Standard Edition binary -
You should Unblock these programs
to start Desktop Central.
Fig: MySQL Alert
Fig: Java Alert
Launching the Desktop
To launch the Desktop Central client,
- open a Web browser and type http://hostname:8020 in the address bar. Here the hostname refers to the DNS name of the machine
- Specify the user name and password as admin
in the respective fields and click Login.
Steps to Perform after
When you login to Desktop Central for the first time, perform the following
- Define the scope
of management - Scope can be limited to a small set of computers or
and apply configurations to either users or computers. The applied
configurations will take effect during user logon for user configurations
and during reboot for computer configurations.
- View the status if the configurations applied to the users/computers.
- Setup Software Deployment Module
- Setup Patch Management Module
- Setup Inventory Management
AD Reports Update Interval and Enable User Logon Reports
Stopping Desktop Central
To stop Desktop Central, select Start --> Programs --> ManageEngine
Desktop Central --> Stop Desktop Central
Copyright © 2005-2013, ZOHO Corp
. All Rights Reserved.