Scope of Management - How To
How to manage computers belonging to roaming users, using Desktop Central?
This document gives you information required to manage computers belonging to roaming users, using Desktop Central
- Ensure that the Desktop Central server is reachable using a public IP address
The Desktop Central server should be reachable via a public IP Address. Configure your external router to ensure that any requests sent to this public IP address are directed to the IP address of the computer in which the Desktop Central server is installed. For example,
- Your public IP address is 22.214.171.124
- You have installed the Desktop Central server on a computer that has the private IP address 192.168.110.101 with default communication ports 8020 or 8383 and 8027.
You should configure your router to direct all requests for 126.96.36.199 at port 8020 or 8383 and 8027 to 192.168.110.101 at the respective ports. It is recommended that you make the private IP address (192.168.110.101 in the above example) static to ensure uninterrupted communication.
- Create a Remote Office in Desktop Central
You are required to create a remote office in Desktop Central Follow the steps given below:
- Select SoM>Remote Offices tab
- Click Add Remote Office
- Specify a name for the remote office. For example, Roaming Users
- Specify your Public IP address as the server's IP address
- Select Direct Communication
- Specify the communication interval
- Select Enable Secured Communication (HTTPS) if you want the communication to be secured
- Click Add
- Install the Remote Office Agent in Roaming Users' Computers
Install the agent in the computers of roaming users. Follow the steps given below:
- Select SoM>Remote Offices tab.
- Download the agent for to the remote office that you created
- Install the agent in the computers of all roaming users, manually
When these roaming users connect to Internet, the agent installed in their computers will contact the Desktop Central server to gather information about configurations available. The agent will contact the Desktop Central server periodically, based on the communication interval specified while creating the remote office. The default communication interval is 2 minutes.
To know more about the Port Details Click here