Active Directory DNS Backup and Recovery
DNS is an integral part of Active Directory Domain Services (AD DS) because it is solely responsible for DNS name resolutions. When a DNS server disaster occurs, it becomes impossible to locate resources within the network and all AD operations come to a screeching halt. Therefore, it's absolutely necessary to restore the DNS servers.
One way to set this right is by performing an AD DS authoritative restore. However, it is a time-consuming and a complex process in which the domain controllers must be restarted for the changes to take effect. This leads to increased downtime, which adversely impacts productivity. A pragmatic solution would be to deploy a tool that can back up and restore DNS data quickly and efficiently without restarting domain controllers.
RecoveryManager Plus is an Active Directory backup and restoration tool that does exactly that. With its multitude of features and a simple, easy-to-use GUI, it serves as a one-stop solution for all your AD-Integrated DNS backup and restoration troubles.
Highlights of RecoveryManager Plus:
- Restore DNS Zones
- DNS Zones: Back up and restore entire Forest and Domain DNS zones. Any change made to the zone information or settings can be easily tracked and reverted.
- Lookup Zones: Back up and restore forward lookup and reverse lookup zone information for all DNS nodes.
- Restore DNS Records
- Resource Records (RRs): Back up and restore all types of DNS records, including A, AAAA, CNAME, MX, NS, PTR (reverse), SOA, SRV, and TXT. When DNS records are restored, the domains are mapped to the IPs quickly.
- Deleted DNS objects: Easily restore deleted or tombstoned DNS objects. The restored DNS records will have the same GUID it had before it was deleted.
- Change Management: RecoveryManager Plus tracks every single change made to DNS information,enabling administrators to undo any particular change. This gives administrators a greater level of control over changes made to critical DNS information.
- Version Management and Comparison: Each change made to DNS data is backed up and is maintained as a separate version. This lets the administrator compare different versions of DNS information and restore the desired version.
- Restart Free Recovery: RecoveryManager Plus allows you to restore DNS information from Windows 2008, or 2012 servers without having to restart your domian controllers. This ensures continuous availability of all domain controllers across the domain.