Microsoft Updates video
Automated Windows Patch Management for Enterprises
We use Desktop Central to keep all of our workstations and servers up-to-date with Microsoft service packs, patches and updates. There are a lot of other products out there like Desktop Central, but so far Desktop Central has proven to be a good fit for us, as well as being very competitively priced.”
Dan Tharp, IT Director, Pekin Hospital
Microsoft periodically releases software updates, patches, hotfixes, and security updates to fix Operating System (Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7, 2003, etc.) or Windows Software/Application related issues. The Windows systems and applications in any enterprise need to install these software updates to secure themselves. Software vulnerabilities can create security weakness, corrupt critical system data or cause system unavailability that can be a nightmare to Network administrators. So, Administrators are constantly looking out for a solution that scans for vulnerabilities, identify missing Microsoft updates, apply them immediately and mitigate risk, not just an update deployment software.
Desktop Central's patch management solution handles every aspect of Microsoft update deployment like System discovery, identifying the required Windows Microsoft updates deploying relevant updates and reports to make network administrators job simpler. Administrators can also opt for a completely automated solution and don't have to worry about updating windows systems ever. It supports managing Microsoft updates of various Windows OS and Applications. The updates include software updates, XP updates, OS updates, application updates, and security updates.
Desktop Central's network-neutral architecture helps administrators to install Microsoft updates to computers in Active Directory, Workgroup, and Novell eDirectory based networks. The computers to be updated can be in the same LAN or distributed across WAN. It can also update the desktop of romaning/ mobile users.
Windows Update Deployment Features in Desktop Central
- Uses a hosted Patch Database at ManageEngine site to assess the vulnerability status of the network
- Complete automated Update Deployment Solution from detecting the missing Microsoft updates to deploying the updates.
- Patch based deployment - Deploy an update to all the Windows systems applicable
- System based update deployment - Deploy all the missing Microsoft updates for a windows desktop/server
- Automatic handling of update interdependencies and sequencing
- Reports on Windows System vulnerabilities, Updates, OS, etc.
- Provides an update of the deployment status
Fig: The Patch Management Process
The Patch Management Process
- Desktop Central requires a light-weight, non-intrusive agent to be installed in all the managed computers to carry out the patch management functions.
- The Online
vulnerability Database is a portal in the ManageEngine site, which
hosts the latest Windows Updates database that has been published
after a thorough analysis. This contains the list of all Microsoft
Windows updates that are available, which includes, software updates, application updates, xp updates, security updates, and so on.
- The Desktop Central Server updates itself with the details of
the available Microsoft patches and Windows software updates from
the Online Vulnerability Database periodically.
- It scans all the windows desktops/servers in the network to check for the missing
Microsoft Windows updates.
- Downloads the Windows updates from the Microsoft and
stores them locally.
- These Windows updates are then pushed to all the windows desktops/servers
in network either automatically or manually as you wish.
- The status of the Microsoft update installation is updated in the Desktop
Supported OS and Applications for Patch Management
- Windows 7 (Enterprise, Professional, Ultimate)
- Windows 8
- Windows Vista (Enterprise, Business, Ultimate)
- Windows Server 2008 R2(Datacenter, Enterprise & Standard)
- Windows Server 2008 (Standard, Enterprise & Web Server Editions)
- Windows Server 2003 (Standard, Web & Small Business ServerEditions)
- Windows Server 2012
- Windows XP Professional
- Windows 2000 Professional
- Windows 2000 Server
- Windows 2000 Advanced Server
- Microsoft Office 2003
- Microsoft Office 2007
- Internet Explorer
- Windows Media Player
- .NET Framework
- DirectX (View Complete List)