How to migrate devices from one MDM service to Mobile Device Manager Plus?
One of the main reasons why organizations hesitate to change their existing MDM solution is that the devices need to be factory reset to remove the devices from management. This means that all the corporate data will be wiped from the device and all the provisioning steps need to be performed again on the devices. This is a tedious process for a mobile-first organization with a large number of managed devices.
Mobile Device Manager Plus automates the process of migrating Samsung and Apple devices from an MDM solution to Mobile Device Manager Plus. This method allows organizations to migrate devices with minimal user and admin intervention.
Points to be noted:
- The devices can be migrated only if your current MDM vendor provides the required APIs.
- Only Samsung devices can be migrated without data loss. In case of Profile Owner devices, the devices must be manually moved and in case of other Android devices enrolled as Device Owner, the devices must be factory reset.
- When Samsung devices that are provisioned as Profile Owner are migrated, functionalities like setting location to high accuracy and Silent Installation of apps will not be supported.
- If the device was Supervised, the Supervision will be retained even after moving the device into MDM.
- Even if the device was enrolled using Apple Business Manager, the MDM profile will be removable from the device after migration.
To migrate your devices, contact MDM support team for a custom APK for Samsung devices and a custom Web shortcut for Apple devices.
- To generate the custom APK, provide the Custom JSON data available on the Mobile Device Manager Plus server by navigating to Enrollment -> Knox Mobile Enrollment to the MDM support team.
- Distribute the custom APK obtained from the MDM support team and distribute it as an Enterprise apps to your devices using your existing MDM solution.
- Once the app is installed on the device, the devices will automatically be enrolled into the Mobile Device Manager Plus server.
- Upon checking if all the devices are available in the MDM server, you can remove the devices from your existing MDM solution.
- Assign the devices to the users and continue managing devices using the MDM server.
- Use your existing MDM solution to distribute the custom Web shortcut to devices. The users should follow a few on-screen steps to migrate the devices to Mobile Device Manager Plus.
- Select the Web shortcut and click on Start Migration to begin the migration process.
- This will remove the existing MDM profile from the device and download the Mobile Device Manager Plus profile on the device.
- The user must Allow the installation of the profile and complete the installation by entering their password.
- This will install the MDM profile and successfully migrate the devices into MDM.