Desktop Central Agent installation, Patch Scan, Asset Scan and Remote Control fail with the error message - "unknown username or password."
This error will be shown if,
- The admin credential for Domain/Workgroup, that is specified in SoM is no longer valid.
- Simple file sharing is enabled in case of a Workgroup setup.
- The causes/resolution that are explained in this article are based on our experiences in our production and client environments. However, there may still be a few unknown causes. In case this article does not resolve your issue and if have an Active Directory based network, you can automate Agent Installation using a Start-Up script.
- The resolution provided in this article will help you overcome the problems encountered during manual patch and inventory scanning. However, there might be some cases where it fails again due to various reasons. It is hence recommended to perform scheduled patch and inventory scanning.
You can resolve this issue as follows:
- Update admin credential
If the admin credential specified during defining Scope of Management is no longer valid, go to Admin tab> Scope of Management> Edit Credential link to update and carry out remote operations like Agent Installation/ Patch Scan/ Inventory Scan/ Remote Control in the client machines.
- Disable File Sharing for Workgroup setup
In case of a Workgroup set up, you will need to disable simple file sharing in all the managed computers. Follow the steps mentioned below in all the client computers to carry out remote like Agent Installation/ Patch Scan/ Inventory Scan/ Remote Control in them.
- Start --> Run--> explorer.
- Select Tools --> Folder Options.
- Select the View tab.
- Unselect the option "Use simple file sharing" and click OK.
Applies to: Agent Installation Failure, Desktop Central Agent Installation, Logon Failure, Patch Scan failure, Remote Control Failure, Asset Scan Failure,
Keywords: Agent Installation, Desktop Central Agent Installation Failure, Installation Failure, Patch Scan failure, Remote Control Failure, Asset Scan Failure, Unknown username, Unknown Password
|Unable to resolve this issue?|
If you feel this KB article is incomplete or does not contain the information required to help you resolve your issue, upload the required logs
, fill up and submit the form given below. Include details of the issue along with your correct e-mail ID and phone number. Our support team will contact you shortly and give you priority assistance and a resolution for the issue you are facing.
* Mandatory Fields