Patch Management - Knowledge Base
1. There are no patches listed in the Applicable and Missing Patches sections. Why?
If you cannot see patches listed in the Applicable and Missing patches sections, do the following:
- Check if the Desktop Central agents have been installed in all computers that you are managing. If agent installation has failed, read this document to understand and rectify the possible reasons for the agent-installation failure.
- Ensure that the computers have been scanned atleast once. To learn more about setting up periodic scanning, see patch scanning.
2. I could not complete the task of scanning for patches manually. It failed. Why?
When you scan for patches manually, it could fail if because of any of the following reasons:
If you get the 'Access Denied' error, do the following:
RPC Server Unavailable
If you get the error message, 'RPC Server Unavailable', check if the following are switched on or enabled:
- Remote computer: If the remote computer is not reachable, ensure that the system is switched on and running when the inventory scan is in progress.
- Remote Administration feature: If the Remote Administration feature is disabled in the computers firewall, enable it using the steps given here.
- File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks: If the 'File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks' is not enabled in the network adapter of the computers, enable this option using the steps given here.
Scanning Timed Out
If you get the error message, 'Scanning Timed Out', complete the following tasks:
3. I had scheduled the scanning for patches to take place automatically. It failed. Why?
If scheduled patch scanning fails, do the following:
- Ensure that you have opened the following TCP ports in the Desktop Central server and added them to the exceptions list in the firewall:
- Enable the local group policy. For steps to enable the local GPO, click here.
4. I cannot update the list of latest patches in the computers in my network. Why?
The reason you cannot update the list of latest patches in the computers in your network could be because the proxy server credentials specfied in the Proxy Server settings are no longer valid. Reconfigure the proxy server settings by specifying a valid set of credentials.
5. I am unable to deploy patches to the computers in my network. Why?
If you are unable to deploy patches to computers in your network, do the following:
6. Why does the vulnerability database not get updated?
The reason why the vulnerability database does not get updated could be because the proxy server is blocking the data. Ensure that you do the following:
- Specify ports 443 and 80 through which the proxy server communicates
- Add "sync.patchquest.com" and "patchdb.manageengine.com" to the exception list of your proxy server
7. Patch installation fails while downloading the patches. Why?
The reason why patch installation fails while downloading patches could be because the authentication provided in the proxy settings do not have necessary privileges to download .exe files.
8. Patch installation fails with error 'Fatal Error during Installation'. Why?
Patch installation could fail with the error 'Fatal Error during Installation' because of patch-specific errors. Check the %windows%\KB******.log for possible reasons. If problem persists, contact support with the following logs:
- Agent logs pertaining to the computers where the patch is being installed.