Manual Patch Scan Failure: Scanning Timed Out
You are trying complete patch scanning manually. However, you cannot complete this task as you see the error 'Scanning Timed Out' on the screen.
This error may occur because of one of the following reasons:
- Data is blocked by the firewall on the computer on which the Desktop Central server is installed
- Scanning fails on computers running in remote offices
- Multiple IP addresses have been enabled in the computer in which the Desktop Central server is installed
- UAC and Remote UAC are enabled in computers in a workgroup setup running on Microsoft Windows Vista or later versions
Note: While the resolution provided in this article will help you overcome the problems encountered during manual patch scanning, there might be some cases where it fails again due to various reasons. It is hence recommended to perform scheduled patch scanning.
To complete patch scanning manually, follow the resolutions given below:
- Unblock firewall ports: Ensure that the following ports are added to the exception list of the firewall in the computer in which the Desktop Central server is installed
- 8020: Used for agent-server communication and to access the Web console
- 8027: Used to complete on-demand tasks like inventory scanning, patch scanning, remote control, remote shutdown and moving agents from one remote office to another
- Ensure that computers are switched on and the Desktop Central service is running: If the scanning has failed for computers in remote offices, complete the following tasks:
- Check whether the computers are switched on and running when the scanning is in progress
- Ensure that the 'ManageEngine Desktop Central 7-Remote Control' is running in the client computers
- Eliminate issues that arise because of multiple IP addresses: When the computer, in which the Desktop Central server is installed, has multiple IP Addresses, like a virtual adapter or two NICs, disable the virtual Adapters
- Disable the UAC and Remote UAC in computers that have Microsoft Windows Vista or later versions installed: Follow the steps below to disable UAC:
Note: This is applicable only if the computers are in a workgroup setup.
Disabling UAC in the client computers
You are required to disable the UAC feature in all client computers. To disable the UAC feature, follow the steps given below:
- Click start>Settings>Control Panel>User Accounts
- Disable the UAC settings
For Windows 7 and Windows 2008 R2
- Click User Account Control Settings
- Drag and choose the control level to Never Notify
- Click OK
For Windows Vista and Windows 2008
- Click Turn User Account Settings On or Off
- Uncheck the Use User Account Control (UAC) to protect your computer checkbox
- Click OK
- Close the Control Panel window.
This will disable the UAC in the client computer. You need to perform the same steps in all the client computers that has Windows Vista or higher manually.
Disabling Remote User Account Control in the client computers
You are required to disable the Remote UAC feature by changing the registry entry that controls the Remote UAC feature. To disable the Remote UAC feature, follow the steps below:
- Click start>Run
- Enter regedit
- Click OK
- Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\system
- Right-click on the white space and click New>DWORD Value
- Enter the name LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy
Note: If this key name is available then right-click on the name>Modify and follow the steps given below.
- Click Modify
- Change the value data to 1
- Click OK
You have disabled the Remote UAC feature.
Applies to: Patch Scanning, Manual Patch scanning, Patch Scanning Failure, Scanning Timed Out
Keywords: Scan Patches, Patch Scan Failure, Scan Patches Manually
|Unable to resolve this issue?|
If you feel this KB article is incomplete or does not contain the information required to help you resolve your issue, upload the required logs
, fill up and submit the form given below. Include details of the issue along with your correct e-mail ID and phone number. Our support team will contact you shortly and give you priority assistance and a resolution for the issue you are facing.
* Mandatory Fields