How to migrate a Desktop Central server installation from one computer to another without losing any data?
This document will provide you the steps to migrate Desktop Central server from one computer to another without losing any data.
For more information about the operating systems which support Desktop Central, read the Supported Operating Systems section.
Note: To migrate Desktop Central Product from 32-bit to 64-bit architecture Click here.
- If you have configured "Failover server", contact support team for migration assistance.
- You should not download a fresh EXE from the website and install in the new computer; you should only copy the installation directory to the new computer.
- Ensure that the patch store and the software repository is reachable from the new Desktop Central Server.
- After migration, ensure that the patch and software repositories are reachable/accessible from the Desktop Central server.
- After migration, ensure that all your agents are contacting the Desktop Central server in the new installation. Until then do not uninstall the server in your old set up.
- The below mentioned steps should be followed sequentially as per the specified order. Do not change the sequence of any operation, failing which might cause issues in the server migration process.
||Need Asssitance? Try our Professional Service
We will migrate your Server and Data at a nominal cost of $245. Let us know your interest by registering here.
Steps for migration vary with respect to the Desktop Central version you are currently using. This document is applicable only for those running build number #80013 or above. Choose the below option to view the steps to migrate the Desktop Central Server:
Migration Steps for Build #80013 and Above
Steps to be Performed on the Existing Installation
- Ensure that the new location of the patch store and the HTTP repository in software deployment are configured and accessible from the machine where the DesktopCentral Server has been moved to.
For example, if the patch store location is configured as D:\Patches in the existing installation, ensure that the patch store location is configured and this path is available in the new server once migration is complete. If the patch-store location is not configured and the path is not accessible from the new server, the server will not start. Software Repository refers to the HTTP Repository location shown in Software Repository Settings.
- Ensure that automatic update of IP Address of the Server has been enabled:
- Connect to the web console and click Admin --> Agent Settings
- Ensure that you have enabled "Automatically detect and save the IP Address change" option available beside the Server IP Address field and save.
- Configure the New Server Details in "Admin>DC Server Migration"page
- Specify the details of the new server like Desktop Central Fully Qualified Domain Name (FQDN), Flat Name, Server IP Address, Secondary IP Address, Server HTTP Port, Server HTTPS Port, etc. and Save.
- Stop the Desktop Central server
- Copy the Desktop Central installation directory
- Copy the directory named DesktopCentral_Server
- Paste it in the new computer where you are going to install the Desktop Central server
Note : This step is mandatory, ensure that you copy the directory and paste it in the new server. If you try to execute the script in step 6 before copying the directory, the new server will not start.
- Open a command prompt as Administrator on your old installation and execute "server-migration.bat enable" available under <Installation_Dir>/bin directory.
(example: C:\Program Files\DesktopCentral_Server\bin>server-migration.bat enable)
Note : Executing this script will disable the Desktop Central Service and you will not be able to connect to the web console. The "MEDC Server Component - Apache" service will alone run to migrate the agents and distribution servers.
Steps to be Performed on the New Installation
- Open Command Prompt as Administrator and execute the "Migrate-DCServer.bat" from the bin folder (from the copied location)
(example : C:\Program Files\DesktopCentral_Server\bin>Migrate-DCServer.bat )
- Add TCP ports used by Desktop Central to the Firewall exception list and add the Desktop Central folder to the anti-virus exception list. (List of ports used by Desktop Central)
: If MySQL database is configured to run on a different computer
, execute "mysql-privilege.bat <new_server_ip>
" from mysql\ directory from the computer where the database is running.
(example: C:\Program Files\DesktopCentral_Server\mysql>mysql-privilege.bat 192.168.xx.xxx )
- Start the Desktop Central server
The Desktop Central agents and the distribution servers, during their next contact, will pick up the details of the new server and start communicating with the new server subsequently. You will need to run the Desktop Central Servers at both the installations till all the agents start reporting to the new server.
How do I know if the migration process is complete?
To ensure that all the agents are migrated to the new server, Check the "Last contact time" column in SoM page. (If you are not seeing this column, choose to view from the Column Chooser). The last contact time must be after the server migration has been enabled.
When Should I stop the Old Server?
Once all the agents starts reporting to the new server, you can stop and uninstall the Desktop Central server at the previous installation.
- How do verify if the migration has been done correctly?
To cross check whether the server migration has been done correctly, try accessing the web console at http://oldserver:port from a web browser. If the migration process has been successful, it will automatically be redirected to http://newserver:port.
- What if I have wrongly entered the Server details? How do I change it?
After enabling server migration, if any changes are to be made about the new server details, then follow the steps below :
- In the old server, edit server-migrate.conf file present in <Install_Dir>\DesktopCentral_Server\conf\ folder.
- The file contains the new server details in Key=Value format; make the required changes and save.
- Execute "server-migration.bat enable" from the bin folder