A short overview of the network connections between ManageEngine OS Deploy Server and ManageEngine OS Deployer Agent during image deployment process
By default, ManageEngine OS Deployer uses the following ports and IP-addresses for components management (not for deployment):
- UDP port: 9876
- TCP port: 9876, if busy, choose a port at random
- IPv4 multicast address: 18.104.22.168
- IPv6 multicast address: FF05::fAA5:741E.
- ManageEngine OS Deployer Management Console UDP port: 9877, if busy, choose a port randomly
The procedure of image deployment goes as follows:
- When ManageEngine OS Deployer Agent starts, it discovers ManageEngine OS Deploy Server using Multicast (22.214.171.124);
- Having discovered ManageEngine OS Deploy Server, ManageEngine OS Deployer Agent connects to ManageEngine OS Deploy Server via TCP/IP to get information on ManageEngine OS Deploy Server and indicates its presence in the network;
- Right after you specify all the deployment options and launch the deployment script, ManageEngine OS Deploy Server initiates the deployment by sending a packet to Port 23232:
- via UDP to the IP-Addresses of the Agent machines if the Unicast deployment method is selected;
- via Multicast by assigning one Multicast IP from the range of 126.96.36.199 to 188.8.131.52 per each Agent and sending the initialization packet to each one if the Multicast method is selected.
- ManageEngine OS Deployer Agent modules reply to the initialization request; the Agent confirms that it is ready for deployment;
- ManageEngine OS Deploy Server starts the deployment to the Agent machines:
- via TCP/IP to the IP-Addresses of the Agent machines (using a random port assigned to the session by Windows) if the Unicast deployment method is selected;
- via Multicast (the 1024 port) by assigning one Multicast IP from the range of 184.108.40.206 to 220.127.116.11 for each deployment session, which may consist of several Agents, and deploying the image to each of the Agents, which in turn substitute the Multicast IP if the Multicast method is selected. It is also possible to have multiple simultaneous deployment sessions..
- At the same time ManageEngine OS Deploy Server sets up sessions with ManageEngine OS Deployer Agent modules using the TCP/IP protocol, via Port 31245. These sessions are used by ManageEngine OS Deploy Server to track the deployment progress on the Agent machines and to update the status of the process in ManageEngine OS Deploy Server GUI.
See also ManageEngine OS Deployer User's Guide.