How to move a computer account in Active Directory?
Read on to how know to move a computer in Active Directory (AD) using PowerShell and how you can get it done easily with ADManager Plus.
Steps to move a computer account in AD using powershell :
How to move a computer account in Active Directory :
- Navigate to Management > Computer Management > Move Modification.
- Select the Computers and the OU to which you want the computers to be moved to.You can even import this list from a CSV file. Then click Apply.
» Start 30-day Free Trial
Although moving AD computers from one OU to another with native tools like PowerShell looks simple, it comes with a few limitations like:
- PowerShell script can be run only from the computers which have the Active Directory Domain Services role installed in them.
- Need for a new script, in case multiple AD computers need to be moved.
- The syntax, parameters and iterations need to be correct. A typo or incorrect syntax might be difficult to spot and rectify especially when the script is a long one.
- You can move the AD computer only if you know the Distinguished name or the GUID .
- Cannot delegate the modification of AD accounts or other AD management tasks to help desk technicians.
ADManager Plus lets you perform the same with a few clicks from its web based GUI console. It also has options for moving multiple computers simultaneously with templates or by importing a CSV file.