How to unlock an AD account using PowerShell scripts
The following is a comparison of unlocking AD accounts with Windows PowerShell and ADManager Plus:
Steps to unlock AD account using PowerShell:
- Identify the domain in which you want to unlock user accounts
- Identify the LDAP attributes you need modify.
- Compile the script.
- Execute it in Windows PowerShell.
Sample Windows PowerShell script
Click to copy entire script
Unlock-ADAccount -Identity "CN=Scott John,OU=Finance,OU=UserAccounts,DC=ABCCompany,DC=COM"
How to unlock accounts in bulk:
- Select Unlock Users -> User Management – Management
- Select the domain and OU.
- Choose the users you want to unlock or import a CSV file containing the user details and click Apply.
» Start 30-day Free Trial
Following are the limitations to unlock AD users using native tools like Windows PowerShell:
- We can run this script only from the computers which has Active Directory Domain Services role.
- With every filter, the script will get longer and complicated.
- Troubleshooting these scripts requires extensive AD and scripting expertise
ADManager Plus can help you unlock AD users in bulk with just a CSV file in a simple and intuitively designed UI.