How to modify AD users' attributes using PowerShell script
The following is a comparison between modifying AD user's attributes with Windows PowerShell and ADManager Plus:
Steps to modify users’ attribute using PowerShell:
- Identify the domain in which you want to modify the user(s)
- Identify the LDAP attributes you need modify
- Compile the script.
- Execute it in Windows PowerShell.
Sample Windows PowerShell script
Click to copy entire script
Set-ADUser -Identity ScottJohn -HomePage 'http://ABCcompany.com/employees/ScottJohn -LogonWorkstations ScottJohn-DSKTOP,ScottJohn-LPTOP'
To modify multiple users:
- Select Modify Bulk Users option in Management -> User Management
- Import the CSV file containing the users and their corresponding updated attributes.
- Click Update in AD.
» Start 30-day Free Trial
Following are the limitations to modify AD user(s) using native tools like Windows PowerShell:
- We can run this script only from the computers which has Active Directory Domain Services role.
- With each attribute update, the script will get longer and complicated
- Troubleshooting is not easy in case of errors.
ADManager Plus can modify multiple users’ attributes in bulk armed with just a CSV file in a simple and intuitively designed UI.
Manage Active Directory user settings in bulk with ADManager Plus' bulk management feature.
Get 30-day free trial.