How to remove users from Active Directory group using PowerShell
The following is a comparison between removing users from AD group with Windows PowerShell and ADManager Plus:
Steps to remove AD users from groups using PowerShell:
- Identify the domain in which you want to manage the users’ group membership.
- Identify the LDAP attributes you need modify
- Compile the script.
- Execute it in Windows PowerShell.
Sample Windows PowerShell script:
Click to copy entire script
Remove-ADGroupMember -Identity "DemoGroup001" -Members "DemoUser001"
Steps to remove AD users from groups:
- Select Management -> User Management -> Group Attributes.
- Choose the domain and OU.
- Select the desired list of users or import a CSV file with the preferred list of users.
- Select the group(s) from which the users should be removed, and click Apply.
» Start 30-day Free Trial
Following are the limitations to remove users from AD group(s) using native tools like Windows PowerShell:
- We can run this script only from the computers which have Active Directory Domain Services role.
- With each attribute update, the script will get longer and complicated
- Troubleshooting is not easy in case of errors.
ADManager Plus can remove users from AD group(s) in bulk armed with just a CSV file from a simple and intuitively designed UI.