How to move objects in AD using PowerShell scripts
The following is a comparison between moving objects to different container in AD with Windows PowerShell and ADManager Plus:
Steps to move AD objects to different OUs in AD using PowerShell:
- Identify the domain in which you want to move the objects(s)
- Identify the LDAP attributes you need modify.
- Compile the script.
- Execute it in Windows PowerShell.
Sample Windows PowerShell script
Click to copy entire script
Move-ADObject -Identity "OU=ManagedGroups,DC=ABCCompany,DC=Com" -TargetPath "OU=Managed,DC=ABCCompany,DC=Com"
To move AD users to another OU:
- Select Move Users from User Management -> Management.
- Select the target OU.
- Choose the desired users from the domain and OU and click Apply.
» Start 30-day Free Trial
Following are the limitations to move AD user(s) using native tools like Windows PowerShell:
- We can run this script only from the computers which has Active Directory Domain Services role.
- With additional filters, the script will get longer and complicated.
- Troubleshooting these scripts requires extensive AD and scripting expertise
ADManager Plus can help you move users in bulk to a different OU with just a CSV file in a simple and intuitively designed UI.