How to modify AD computer attributes using PowerShell
The following is a comparison between modifying AD computer attributes with Windows PowerShell and ADManager Plus:
Steps to modify AD computer attributes using PowerShell:
- Identify the domain in which you want to modify the group attributes of user(s)
- Identify the LDAP attributes you need modify.
- Compile the script.
- Execute it in Windows PowerShell.
Sample Windows PowerShell script
Click to copy entire script
Set-ADComputer -Identity "USER1-SRV1" -ManagedBy "CN=DB Administrator 01,OU=UserAccounts,OU=Managed,DC=USER1,DC=COM"
How to modify AD computers in bulk:
- Select Modify Bulk Computers -> Computer Management -> Management.
- Import a CSV file with updated attribute values.
- Click Update in AD button.
» Start 30-day Free Trial
Following are the limitations to modify AD computers using native tools like Windows PowerShell:
- We can run this script only from the computers which has Active Directory Domain Services role.
- With each filter and conditions, the script will get longer and complicated.
- Troubleshooting these scripts requires extensive AD and scripting expertise
ADManager Plus can help you modify AD computers in bulk with just a CSV file in a simple and intuitively designed UI.