Assigning licenses for Office 365 users using PowerShell
The following is a comparison between adding licenses to Office 365 users with Windows PowerShell and ADManager Plus
Steps to manage licenses of Office 365 users using PowerShell:
- Identify the Office 365 tenant from which you want to retrieve the report.
- Identify the cmdlets you need to fetch the report.
- Compile the script.
- Execute it in Windows PowerShell.
Sample Windows PowerShell script:
Click to copy entire script
Get-MsolUser -All -UsageLocation ‘UK’ | Set-MsolUserLicense -AddLicenses “tenantname:ENTERPRISEPACKAGE”
Steps to add licenses for Office 365 users:
- Select Office 365 -> License Management ->Assign/Remove licenses
- Select Add licenses option, choose the desired license(s), and User Location from the drop down list.
- Choose the Office 365 account and its users, and click Apply.
» Start 30-day Free Trial
Following are the limitations to manage licenses of Office 365 users using native tools like Windows PowerShell:
- With additional filters, the script will get longer and more complicated.
- Troubleshooting these scripts requires extensive AD and scripting expertise.
ADManager Plus can help you assign licenses of Office 365 users in a simple and intuitively designed UI.