Remove Office 365 License from User Accounts using Powershell
The following is a comparison between removing licenses of Office 365 users with Windows PowerShell and ADManager Plus:
Steps to remove licenses of Office 365 users using PowerShell:
- Identify the Office 365 tenant from which you want to retrieve the report.
- Identify the cmdlets you need for the report.
- Compile the script.
- Execute it in Windows PowerShell.
Sample Windows PowerShell script:
Click to copy entire script
Set-MsolUserLicense -UserPrincipalName -RemoveLicenses "<AccountSkuId1>", "<;AccountSkuId2>"...
Steps to remove licenses for Office 365 users:
- Select Office 365 -> License Management ->Assign/Remove licenses
- Select Remove all licenses option, choose the country, the desired Office 365 account and its users, and click Apply.
» Start 30-day Free Trial
Following are the limitations to manage licenses of Office 365 users using native tools like Windows PowerShell:
- With additional filters, the script will get longer and more complicated.
- Troubleshooting these scripts requires extensive AD and scripting expertise.
ADManager Plus can help you remove licenses of Office 365 users in a simple and intuitively designed UI.