Exchange Reporter Plus Knowledge Base
Get answers to frequently asked questions, find out what error messages really mean, and read several how-tos using this repository of information on Exchange Reporter Plus.
1. What are the minimum system requirements for Exchange Reporter Plus?
- CPU: P4, 1.0 GHz
- RAM: 1 GB – 4 GB
- Disk space: 10 to 20 GB (The storage space requirements might vary depending upon your organization size, mailbox size, traffic frequency and outlook web access logins.)
The hard disk space can be calculated based on the number of users in your organization.
|Number of users
||No. of days
||37 * 1000 * 100= 3700000 KB (3.7 GB)
- Windows Management Framework (Windows PowerShell, Windows Remote Management) for servers 2010, 2013, and 2016.
- .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 is needed for Exchange Auditing.
- Microsoft Exchange Web Services Managed API 2.2
- MAPI is required to extract mailbox size and content related data for Exchange Server versions 2003 and 2007. It can be downloaded from https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/download/details.aspx?id=1004.
Supported Exchange Servers
- Exchange Server 2000
- Exchange Server 2003
- Exchange Server 2007
- Exchange Server 2010
- Exchange Server 2013
- Exchange Server 2016
- Exchange Server 2019
- Windows XP
- Windows 2003
- Windows 7
- Windows 2008
- Windows 2012
- Windows 8
- Windows 10
- Internet Explorer 6.0 and above
- Firefox 5.0 and above
- Google Chrome
2. Why is MAPI CDO required for Exchange Reporter Plus?
MAPI is a messaging architecture and a Component Object Model (COM) based API for Microsoft Windows providing access to all the contents of the messaging stores. Exchange Reporter Plus uses MAPI to fetch mailbox and public folder content related data for its reports. This applies only to Exchange Server versions 2003 and 2007.
3. What are the reports that are dependent on MAPI?
Exchange Reporter Plus uses MAPI to communicate with mailboxes and public folders, when servers 2003 and 2007 are used. The reports that are dependent on MAPI are:
- Mailbox size reports
- Mailbox content reports
- Public folder size reports
- Public folder content reports
4. Why is Diagnostic Logging configuration needed for Exchange Server Auditing functionalities?
Diagnostic Logging should be configured for mailbox logon events to be recorded in the Application Log in Event Viewer. These events are used for generating Mailbox Logon reports. This configuration is not required for Exchange Servers 2013 and 2016.
To configure Diagnostic Logging, open Exchange Management Shell on any one of the Exchange Servers and execute the following command after entering the server name in the place of %SERVER_NAME%.
‘%SERVER_NAME%\MSExchangeIS\9000 Private\Logons’ | Set-EventLogLevel -Level ‘Expert’
5. What are the privileges required for gathering email monitoring data?
Transport queues role should be assigned to the user or the Organization Management group in order to generate the Email Queue Monitoring Report.
- To assign this role to the user:
- New-ManagementRoleAssignment -Name TransportRoleAssignment -User 'DOMAIN\userName' -Role 'Transport Queues'
- To assign this role to Organization Management group:
- New-ManagementRoleAssignment -Name TransportRoleAssignment -SecurityGroup 'Organization Management' -Role 'Transport Queues'
Need further assistance? Fill this form, and we'll contact you rightaway.