Classifying devices under the correct device type using templates
The devices are classified based on type and category set in the respective device templates.
Here are a few things that you need to do before adding the device, preferably in the same order so that the devices are classified properly based on type and category:
- Add credentials
- Enable the relevant protocols like SNMP, CLI or WMI on the monitored devices to enable manageability
- Check and modify (or add new) device templates
- Add the devices for discovery
Modify existing template:
Go to Settings > Configuration > Device Template
For instance, if you are adding a Cisco 10700 series router, search as Cisco or system oid of the device in the search box. This quickly lists all the available Cisco templates:
- Click on the relevant template (in this case, Cisco 10700 series)
- Update the template after verifying if the system OID of the device is provided, and add if not present already.
- Add the other required monitors and click on Save.
This function allows you to duplicate an existing Device Template
- Go to Settings > Configuration > Device Template > Click on a template
- Add the required device type's system OID and OID criteria if needed > Add required monitors > Copy
- Enter a new name Device Template name and click on Copy
Creating new template:
You can also create a new template to accommodate a new device type as follows:
Go to Settings > Configuration > Device Template > Add Template.
- Name: Provide a name for the Device Template.
- Vendor Name: Select the vendor. Click Add New to add a new vendor, and Add.
- Category: Select the category for the device type. (On discovery, the devices are automatically placed in the select Category map.)
- Monitoring Interval: Configure the interval at which the device needs monitoring.
- Device identifier: Type the sysOID and click Add or click Query Device to obtain the sysOID from a device. To make minute changes to your sysOID, click on edit option to set the Criteria. Learn how.
- Device Image: A default image is provided for the device type. It can be customized by clicking on the image.
- Associated Monitors: Click this option to add monitors to the Device Template. These monitors will be automatically associated to the devices during discovery.
- Edit Thresholds: Click this option to edit thresholds.
Click Save button to create the new device template. After adding or modifying the templates, add the device for discovery.