How can I discover the interfaces associated with my device ?
Interfaces connected to a device can be discovered in OpManager only if the device is SNMP enabled.
You can discover the interfaces connected to a SNMP enabled device in one of the following ways :
Discovering interfaces through Device Snapshot page
- Go to the device snapshot page of the device whose interfaces you wish to discover ( You can either click on Inventory and select the required device or you can search for the device by clicking on the search icon).
- In the device snapshot page, click on the green colored button containing three horizontal lines ( in the top right ).
- Click on Discover interfaces option.
Now the interfaces associated with the selected device will be discovered by OpManager.
- A list of interfaces that have been discovered for the device will be displayed. Select the required interfaces and click on Save.
- You can also rediscover a device from the device snapshot page to discover all the interfaces that are associated with it.
Discovering interfaces in bulk:
- For bulk discovery of interfaces ( i.e discovering the interfaces associated with multiple devices simultaneously ), use Discovery Profile.
- The Interface section of Discovery Profile will be disabled by default. Click on Enable to allow Interface discovery,
- Select the Interface types and the admin & operational status (Click here to read more about admin & operational status) and continue with the device discovery process.
- If you would like to schedule the Interface discovery, you can select Schedule and choose the required schedule interval. Else, click on Execute Now to discover the interfaces just this once.
- Now, along with the devices, the associated interfaces will also be discovered by OpManager.
Interface Discovery while adding a device:
- Before adding a device using Add Device option, check if Interface Discovery option is enabled under Discovery Settings
( To go to Discovery settings page, click on Settings menu and then under the Discovery section, click on Discovery Settings ).
- If the option is disabled,enable the option and click Save. Now the interfaces associated with the device will be automatically discovered when the device is being added to OpManager.
For OpManager version 12.5 and above:
The Interface Discovery feature (in OpManager versions 12.5 and above) allows you to discover your network interfaces and monitor the various parameters associated with it. Interfaces can be discovered in bulk by specifying a criteria and condition for the devices and their associated interfaces.
- Go to Setting -> Discovery -> Interface Discovery.
- Define a condition and criteria for devices and interfaces to be discovered.
For example: If you want to discover the interfaces associated with devices from a specific vendor, select the device criteria 'Vendor', the condition 'equals' and specify the vendor name. Likewise, specify the required interface criteria (interface name, description, etc) and condition for the discovery.
- Click on the Discover option to start discovering interfaces that matches the specified description.
Note: When multiple device/interface criteria is selected, choose between the two options to carry out the process.
'Match Any of the following (OR)' - Device/interface that satisfy any one condition will be considered.
'Match ALL of the following (AND) - Device/interface that satisfy ALL the given conditions will only be considered.